Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electronic distributor Tach wiring Help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadster1929, Mar 15, 2020.

1. I have got the Mallory breaker less electronic distributor on my Flat Head. I am looking for information on how to wire my electronic tachometer. I hooked my tachometer pulse wire to negative terminal on coil, but I don’t believe that there are any pulses there because it is breaker less.
    Has anyone had this before? How do I get my tach to work.

thank you in advance for the help

2. squirrel

squirrel

If there were no pulses on the negative side of the coil, there would be no spark, and the engine would not run. Doesn't matter if it uses points or electronics, it needs to turn the coil on and off every time a plug fires.

It might help to know what kind of tach you have.

deathrowdave and olscrounger like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What he said. Are we correct in assuming that this is a 12 volt negative ground situation?

4. Yes 12v negative ground. And my car runs fine. The distributor is a Mallory breakerless electronic new about 10 years ago. My tach is new rebuilt and assume fine . Is there any way to Bench test the tach?or to see if my negative side of the coil is sending the proper signal.

5. squirrel

squirrel

What kind of tach is it?

Sent from my Trimline

6. I don’t know,the housing is 30’s Stewart Werner with new internals .going to call the builder tomorrow.

squirrel likes this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will take a flyer on this and guess that your tach is an older "Meter-Type" that needs a dedicated sender box. You probably should just buy something "Cool Looking" (Motor-Type) from Amazon for $20.