Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electric cooling fans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frdsuperduty, Mar 18, 2018.

1. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

my cooling components fan is wired to run when engine is running.It is not set to run at any certain temperature.I have not run one this way before and so far it’s keeping the temp.down.We have not had any hot days yet but it certainly takes longer to get to operating temp.Does anybody have experience running this way and how long can I expect the fan to last this way.Its a small block Chevy in a 40 ford.I think at highway speeds I may see higher temperatures.Just got car back together after making updates so I only have 50 miles on it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really should use a thermo switch or fan controller. Having the fan run full time is hard on the fan, alternator/battery and slows normal engine warm-up.

JeffB2, olscrounger and tfeverfred like this.
  3. i like to put the fan on a switch through a relay and turn it on/off as i want

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mine run thru a relay but triggers 3 ways by a heat sensor, the trinary switch on the AC and a manual switch under the dash as needed-have wired many many 40's this way with these fans-no problems

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018

5. I run my cooling fan to a switch inside the car. I can shut it on and off at will and have no temp switch to override the switch in the car. I mostly am the only driver, but if someone else is going to drive it, I turn the fan on so it won't get a chance to run hot.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  6. Or you can use a small 12v electronic temp controller, set it at your required temp, and it will cycle the fan as needed. I like to have a piece of insulated electrical wire with alligator clips on the ends in my tool kit in case I need to jump any controls if it croaks and I need cooling.

olscrounger likes this.
  7. I go straight to a switch. Off for warm up, on for traffic, Off for the interstate

Frankie47 likes this.
  8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Olscrounger is smart cookie watch this video:

Dave Mc likes this.
  9. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Three things will turn on my fan:
    1. Thermostat in radiator
    2. Power to AC compressor closes a relay to turn on fan. AC guy told me to always run fan if AC on. Tha engine may not need it but the condenser does.
    3. Switch on dash for those times I expect to get hot but haven't yet. Parades, etc.

zzford likes this.
  10. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Set up like that will stress the fans. Have seen Chinese made aftermarket ones die pretty quick when ran like this when they are always on.
    I would add a simple on/off switch as mentioned above soon as you can then further down the track think about auto thermal switches. That quarter of an hour to route some wire and add in a switch could save you a few headaches further down the track.
    Im running duel Spal fans through a Dakota Digital fan controller for my current build.

11. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Thanks for all the replies.Im going to get after it this week to see what we changed when we put the engine back in.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. greybeard360

greybeard360

You can buy a fan controller at any auto supply that connects to power, the compressor feed wire, the fan and ground. Temp sensor bulb pushes in between the fins on the radiator. The relay plugs into the controller. Most of them are adjustable as far as temp they turn the fan on.

A cooling fan will not make one take longer to come up to operating temp. The thermostat does that. Right now you have a setup that is no different than using a mechanical fan... It is pushing air all the time.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

zzford likes this.
  13. Fortyfordcmm

Fortyfordcmm

Hottronics makes a temp sending switch and a switch box to turn on fan switch and turn it off when needed. You mount the temp sensor in they intake, it is a great item.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Mine is setup like olscrounger’s. Been that way for a dozen years.

olscrounger likes this.
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Yep, olscroungers got it right. You need a relay as a fans start up amperage is too high.

olscrounger likes this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Electric fans suck a ton of juice. They are only needed when the motor gets hot, then they need to turn back off. I got a "cool" relay from spral for one of my OT muscles cars. The car has 2 puller fans in one shroud. The controller utilizes a temp sensor in the intake that turns on one fan, both fans and at low and high speeds as the controller determines cooling need. It also kicks them on at engine shut off for about 30 seconds.
    There is a "pit" switch in the jockey box to override the fans but trust me, you don't want them running off a non-charging battery for long.

17. I got the entire kit with my Spal fan on eBay. It came with the temp sensor that goes in the head. I use a flex fan and it covers most of my cooling. The electric fan comes on when I get jammed up in traffic. It cools off fast, usually within a minute of running.

JeffB2 and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

19. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

In my 33 , IMG_0512.JPG I have the adjustable temp controlled 12V switch under dash, with a Relay also a separate slider type switch in the ashtray area to turn it on any time also along side that switch is small indicator light that lets me know when the fan is running .

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  20. brady1929

brady1929

Great info here

21. This is what I do as well. It’s so hot down here that the fan runs constantly anyway no matter how it’s wired. Sometimes I can kill it going down the highway on a cooler day but not often.

I’ve got a 90 amp alternator and a hot battery in both my vehicles with mild SBC engines.

As little as I drive them I’m not worried about it.