Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Effect of engine size on cooling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txcr13, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Phil1934

Phil1934

I swapped in a 440 for a 383 keeping orig. 383 radiator (440 one is 6" wider) and overheated in traffic.

2. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Doing my research about cooling I found the aftermarket radiator makers all use size of motor to determine size of radiator.

No doubt an early Ford radiator usually does well with a later motor because they had a big radiator to deal with the original flathead cooling challenges.

3. Siamesed cylinders, thin walls, water pump, type of T stat, even brand of parts all makes a bigger difference in most cases than displacement.

4. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Custom radiator makers always ask for engine size, horsepower and intended use, not siamesed cylinders, thermostats or other factors. No doubt, some engines tend to run hotter or cooler, but from my experience the radiator guys equate engine size to radiator size. Works for me - your results may vary.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Radiator suppliers make them to fit engine size, but they don't always cure problems. Lots of times people opt for a larger radiator because of the factors Porknbeaner mentioned. Engine size is just a starting point for getting a radiator. The radiators have to fit a specific vehicle so there are size constraints. They can't engineer an individual radiator for each person and sell it for a reasonable price. So you start with a radiator based on engine size and see if it works..........:D

Blues4U likes this.
  6. txcr13

txcr13

For all you good folks on the HAMB, no bush beating taking place here. Just a theoretical question about possible SBC engine operating temperature variations as related to engine size. Some, but not all, of the respondents have the same experience as me...more cubes equal increased temperature.

7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The bigger engine does less work and should run cooler..