Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edsel 361 FE Water Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wrytoast, Apr 28, 2020.

?
  1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. why?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wrytoast

Wrytoast

I'm looking for a water pump for my '58 Edsel Ranger 361 FE. It uses that first generation "long shaft" pump Ford used on the FE engines for '58 '59 & '60. They run about $150 delivered. For some reason the 2nd gen "short shaft" pumps for '61 - '64 go for about half that price. They appear identical except for the shaft length - it looks like it's about 1 inch shorter,. but I'm not sure of the actual dimensions. My question is does anyone know if I could use a short shaft pump with a 1 inch aluminum spacer (which I have) to make up the difference?. It would depend on how much shorter the shaft actually is or if there's any other differences between the pumps I don't know about.

54 ford coupe likes this.
  2. I like to match them up physically when possible. You mention a spacer, but that 1" will have the belts not lining up with the crank pulley. I would try to source one locally (so you can see how things will line up) or find a rebuilder. Even if you have to drive an hour, in the end you get YOUR pump back unless they can do an exchange.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Like, Bob said, keep your pump. Take your pump to the parts store and compare your long shaft to a short shaft. Being as it’s an older car, they may have to order in a pump. But our local parts house will do it free of charge.

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

The reason has to do with how many they sell of each type. Probably about 10 late pumps, for one early pump.

$150 for a new oddball water pump is about right. You can see if you can rig up something with the less expensive pump, but if the spacer thing doesn't work out, or there are other differences in the pump housing that make it so you can't mount all the accessories, then you would have been better off spending the extra money the first time.

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but I do know from experience that spending extra to get the right part, usually ends up being the smart way to go.

5. KenC

KenC

My local Orielly's will send pumps out for a repair and return. Their rebuilder can usually source and replace bearings and seals. I've had them do some near impossible to find Japanese tractor pumps. Lots cheaper than other methods.

Boneyard51 likes this.