Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edmunds heads

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jroot, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Jroot

Jroot
    from ...Ohio

Well, my awesome Uncle has done it again. We were kicking around in my garage looking at the Mercurys new engine that I am putting together. I was telling him that it was time to bolt the heads on. He said "I have a pair of High Performance Heads for this engine". WHAT!!!!!! now you tell me.

They are Edmunds heads. I can't find much info on them. Or any for sale anywhere.

Does anyone have the scoop on these heads?

Attached Files:

2. mj40's

mj40's

I had a set just like those in the 60's. later found a set of Edelbrocks. They both preformed the same but found a Edelbrock 4bbl set up so they would match. I have seen the Edmunds intakes too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  3. Jroot

Jroot
    from ...Ohio

What little info I found said Eddie Edmunds died in 1969.

4. Jroot

Jroot
    from ...Ohio

mj40's, looks like you have a modified oil filtration system. What kind is that?

5. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I have a set. Never ran them. From what I've been able to find on them, they are good, but nothing special. Equivalent to any of the other usual aftermarket heads.

The intake with the front carb positioned to clear the stock generator location may suffer a bit from mixture distribution issues. Having the carbs centered over the ports, and relocating the generator, is supposed to perform better.

Attached Files:

6. Jroot

Jroot
    from ...Ohio

I would have to agree with you about the dispersion of the air/fuel mixture. There is no way that the front cylinders receive the same as the rear.
    The heads are just average then?

7. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

I am running early Edmunds heads on a late motor with 2@ 97's. Runs pretty strong. I would post a picture but it keeps attaching upside down.

8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Rodders Journal ran an article on Edmunds a few years back.The article said thet Edmunds parts where designed for street use for mild power increases but putting emphasis on engine efficientcy,not really racing parts.if you want race go Navarro or Evans.

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Cool just the same.

10. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

no dought.i would run 'em in a second!

11. The Edmunds heads are very good for what most fellas use their cars for - bombing round town, running through the country etc - my 41 had a set of Edmunds fit in the 40s and I plan to reinstall them. Just depends what your cars purpose is - for street use they are a cool period piece - run them!

12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What does the chamber side look like? Often times they can be used with minor cleaning up, but sometimes used heads have been cleaned up a few times already. What cam are you running? If its anything hotter than a 3/4 race, You'll want to check for valve clearance before tightening the heads down just to be sure everything is kosher.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The Edmunds heads are as others have said, just another set of aftermarket heads. But then, most of them were.

I have two pairs, one on a 59AB and another to go on a 8BA. They work fine, had enough valve clearance that I only had to open up for a couple valves. They also were original polished for the bling appeal.

They are good heads and not as common as the repops of today. I try to avoid the common. Run them.

Neal

14. Jroot

Jroot
    from ...Ohio

I like the looks of them. I think they will be a nice addition to my otherwise stock 51 merc.
    I'm running a stock cam for now. Money is tight, and so am I. :)

There is some pitting at the gasket mating surface, so I'm going to have them shaved.
    The heads were on a 8ba with 3 3/4" stroke. So, I hope I don't end up with too much compression.