Register now to get rid of these ads!

edelbrock 1406 (600 elec choke) wont idle with zoomies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsman71, Jun 1, 2008.

1. oldsman71

oldsman71

a friend brought a t-bucket over with this carb on a 355 melling mtc-1 cam (same as edelbrock performer 204 @ 050 int 214 @050 ex) and homemade zoomies. it loped and lean missed. I checked everything no vac leaks,elec issues,ect. to make a long story short this carb is just to lean to run with these headers. i put his carb on my old chevy truck 350,headers,same cam,ect, it idled fine! I put a 750 vac sec. holley (stock cal) on his car it idled fine and ran pretty good. to make sure I put my 1406 on his bucket,guess what same as his 1406,idled to lean and lean missed this carb must just be to lean for these big tube 3/4 inch zoomies,not best for this motor any way! i think he needs 5/8 headers with collectors to run this carb ,what do you all think?

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

3. the edelbrock 1406 is jetted leaner for mileage. buy a calibration kit for it ( about $50) and follow the instructions in the manual that came with the carb ( the kit does not come with it) and richen it up

the kit you need for your carb is edelbrock # 1487......you can get them from Napa

4. oldsman71

oldsman71

thanks I am not used to those edelbrocks,I had my 1st one on my truck, Ill try the calibration kit,thanks cjc

5. hillcogolfer

hillcogolfer

I think I wouldn't mess with changing the headers...just recalibrate the carb a little. I have the same carb on my mild 350 streetrod cruiser....and the same situation....too lean....it seems well known (I now learn) that the 1406 600 cfm Edelbrock is set for fuel economy....not performance.

.....and I just wrote into here over the weekend and got a ton of great advise....look on the HAMB and click in hillcogolfer on the search and my thread will come up...with lots of good stuff to do to it.

I do have headers but not zoomies....got plenty of vaccum...so all I'm gonna do is change out some metering rods and maybe power piston springs....I don't have enough engine to need a jet change too.

6. AG F/C

AG F/C

How far out are your idle screws? 2-3 1/2 turns max should do it. I have had some issues with Performer AFB's idle circuits not work properly. but for the most part they are reliable. Take the idle screws out and blast the jets with carb cleaner through the red tube

The 1406 has a liberal idle fuel circuit and should accommodate your setup easily.

What is your initial timing? Idle manifold pressure? I would look at your tune up before screwing with the headers. They will make no differance at idle.

214 @ .050 is a small cam and should idle fairly smooth even at 110 lobe centers but you did not mention that.

7. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

Edelbrock makes a good carb and you just need to dial it in. Like everyone else said - they are jetted for economy and not every engine will take the same setup. I ran my 1406 on the street and on the weekends at the track on a mild small block and it worked great once I spent a little time dialing it in. How much timing are you running?