Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eddie Meyer block letter intake questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sluggo1936, Jul 24, 2013.

1. sluggo1936

sluggo1936
    from Colorado

I have a few questions, which I'm sure will turn into several... My 36 5-window is my first car, best thing I've ever got into. I've followed you guys on the HAMB for a long time before I got this ride. I got this EM intake recently. I was wondering what your thoughts are on polishing it? I didn't know where to go but here to find answers. I'm concerned about it losing its value if polished, or historic value mainly. Second, There's some pitting on some of the ends in the pics, in addition to the pitting, is this a fully workable intake? I plan on using the 36 as a driver, its not sitting in the garage. I'm starting the engine build & car build thread as soon as it starts up... about 3 weeks!

Attached Files:

2. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Very rare, polishing will diminish it's value, very cool! Pitting won't hurt, hoses with clamps should seal, if not, use sealer. Search on here for tips on cleaning aluminum, plenty of threads, clean it up and run as-is, is my advice.

3. sluggo1936

sluggo1936
    from Colorado

Thanks Randy, appreciate the reply!

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I hate to say this as I am usually against polishing old intakes. But with how yours seems to be pitted all over slightly, I would think that if you could get it smoothed out and polished nicely it may not hurt its value too greatly. Just be careful not to ruin the lettering. If you are planning to use it on your car, I think it would look nicer polished then the current state.
    Age from use and wear is one thing to leave alone, but when it looks neglected like this appears from maybe sitting outside for a long time?
    Personally I would spruce it up!

I have 2 of the same model but with the teardrop logo on them. Which I think are from '40 or '41. I think yours would be from '39 or '40, if it matters to you.

Good luck and nice find in any case
    Zach

5. sluggo1936

sluggo1936
    from Colorado

I'm thinking the same thing. Ill clean it up, and see how she looks. I'm not against polishing, like you said it will look killer smoothed out & careful around the letters. I think polishing is in the plans since I plan on keeping it on the 36. I don't know the history of this intake, pre-war 1939 is about all I know. It sure would be cool to know the cars this has been on and its history, I imagine that's almost impossible to find out!

What cars do you have that intake on?

Thanks!

6. Chuck R

Chuck R

This was my Eddie Meyer intake, it lives on my friend Randy's coupe which is the perfect home for this manifold. My neighbor Ed had given it to me before he passed away. He had bought it new around 1940 and had run it on his hopped up 39 ford convertible.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  7. sluggo1936

sluggo1936
    from Colorado

No way man! That's cool. It's going on a 286, 36 Ford 5-window. Do you have any history on it? I never thought I'd find the previous owner!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. sluggo1936

sluggo1936
    from Colorado

Shoot! I misunderstood... Got cha. Cool

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Mine are sitting on the shelf right now unfortunately. Not too sure what they will end up on. I had planned 1 for my '35 5 window but then found a supercharger, so who knows, the car is far from roadworthy right now.
    Didn't plan to have 2 of these, but when opportunity knocks....