Register now to get rid of these ads!

Econoline spindle specs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

What is the diameter of the king pin hole and how tall should the axle measure where the spindle mounts.

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i think in the new speedway catolog they give the specs. but not the camber incination...

3. I can't give specifics, but I have the Econoline spindles on my modified with an A axle. The camber seems fine and the size of the kingpin and axle height seem same as the early Ford. I have not actually measured the camber with any precision, but it seems to be fine visually and for driving.

4. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I'm not sure if this is completly off topic here, but I thought I found a site that said Econoline spindles bolted right up to a certain brand of dropped axles but I can't find it again. Does anyone know what axle it is? I thought it was Bell, but now I can't find the link and I am going crazy trying to find it.

5. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

What year Econoline Brakes do you use. Everything I have seen in the Tech-O-Matic didn't list the years. Maybe I missed it.

6. MY axle already had the spindles and brakes all set up, so I don't know what year, but I think any Econoline from the 60's (like 61-66 or 67??) is the same. I have real wide drums, the shoes are like 2.5 inches wide and the drum is similarly wide to match. Very good brakes in the light car. Here is a picture of the spindle, maybe someone can offer a better history of the Econoline spindles and confirm my information.

7. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Cool. Is it easy to find parts for it? Can you just get pads and drums from Autozone or something? I'd like to try to keep everything on my car as easy as possible to replace, since I plan on driving the wheels off of it.

8. I noticed my picture shows overspary all over [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG], I just taped off close to the axle and still need to remove the backing plates to really clean and paint them up nice. Kinda looks like shit in that picture.

As for parts availability, I think you can get shoes, wheel cylinders and bearings pretty easy, but I have heard that the drums are no longer available, so your only option is junkyard. So just make sure you get good ones with you spindles and then keep up maintenance so you don't wreck them. Not any different than Buick aluminum drums in that respect. I have not actually needed any parts yet, so I am just assuming they should be available, might have to be ordered and wait a day.