Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Easy bolt on customizing

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Dec 8, 2017.

1. rudestude

rudestude

Found this article ... thought maybe it would help you out with your ribbed pipe install but I guess I am a little late.....sorry....[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. rudestude

rudestude

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-3-24_4-35-42.png
    Hey S,
    That thread was pretty good and full of details. It was a simple process, even though there are many steps. It explains the steps in creating these accessories. When we were just starting to get into cars and hot rods, it was fun to modify anything that moved or even small plastic models. But, those usually did not cost us much time or money to do those custom paint or frenched headlights with glue and paste.

But, to make those similar custom touches on our daily drivers, it took time and again, more money. Plus, the access to the daily driver was not going to happen when some big custom mod was going on during the build. So, what does an avid hot rod/custom car guy do to make his vehicle a little different? The small 50s-60s style accessories to get it to the stage of a mild custom car or hot rod. Not everyone has two cars and not everyone can afford the huge flashy paint, custom body, motor modifications.

If you are handy, have a small machine shop with a lathe and drill press, these little Lexan knobs are easy to make. We actually made some knobs in our junior high school crafts class using the machinery that was in that shop. The teacher had access to different colors of Lexan plastic and with some shapes, glue and lots of finishing, they came out like the ones sold at the local hot rod accessory shops. Thank goodness that our teacher was a hot rodder/custom car fanatic.

Jnaki

There are plenty of modern, plastic shops in every neighborhood, including mail order for the Lexan parts. For example: http://www.plastic-metal.com/ Recently, I needed some white Lexan pieces to replace some beat up wooden steps for a friend’s drop down, boat ladder. The product sold just needed some small modifications to make it work. It is now waterproof and will last forever. The abundance of different plastic shapes, colors, forms at these places make it like a giant market. Thick, thin, colors, they are all there for the asking and your projects.

Here are some photos from our last November vacation to Santa Barbara area and specifically, Goleta. My wife said she saw a cool looking station wagon in the parking lot of our resort hotel, so immediately, I had to go and explore. The night before, we had seen a cruising, mid size station wagon driving down State Street (in the downtown Santa Barbara area,) while we were dining at one of those plentiful, street side restaurants. It looked very cool driving down this street made for cruising. I was surprised that it was the same station wagon sitting in the resort parking lot of the Kimpton Goodland Resort Hotel.

upload_2018-3-24_4-44-24.png

upload_2018-3-24_4-46-26.png upload_2018-3-24_4-46-45.png
    This 65 Mercury Comet station wagon has plenty of accessories to fit right into the "classic" style of those long ago street cruising cars. It had a ton of nice features and looked to be a daily driver. Some of the custom touches were the machined, Lexan colored shift knob and door locks, the rear ¼ Venetian blinds, the aluminum rain/wind wings, a fender mounted spotlight, and taillights. One item that hasn't been seen since the 60's...shiny curb feelers !

The period correct S/S wheels and whitewalls made it look like a wagon cruising in the mid 60’s. The Comet Wagon fit right into the “theme” of the recently remodeled, Kimpton Goodland Resort Hotel’s surfer style fixtures.

straykatkustoms and Sancho like this.
  4. rudestude

rudestude

Hey jnaki ...that wagon is really cool ... I used to cruise a 57 Chrysler Windsor wagon...it was a lot of fun...hey I have the perfect hats to wear when hitting the beaches in that wagon...these are hand made .. I found them in a loft of a barn when I was helping my brother set up for a estate sale..and I happen to have a set of new curb feelers ... I posted them on here a day or two ago.... I also had a 56 Buick wagon sold it a few years back.....have fun.....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

rudestude, are some of those hats made from coconuts?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  6. rudestude

rudestude

I'm not sure... I looked them up on line once.. can't remember now what it said ... I will look it up again see what I can find out....

7. rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey DD,
    Thanks for the link. The photo of the Comet Wagon is the same wagon I saw at the Kimpton Goodland Resort hotel in Goleta, CA. (just on the northern border of Santa Barbara.) It was so cool, that I had to take more photos in the parking lot of the resort. We were up there visiting relatives during the Thanksgiving week. We decided to do some relaxing things we used to do back in the 60s and updated 90s, in and around the Santa Barbara/Goleta area. (Old hotel, pier, State Street, UCSB, surf spots, coastal cruise, restaurants, etc.)

We saw this wagon cruising down State Street. When it was pointed out that there could be a "cool old wagon" in the resort parking lot, I was totally surprised when it was in the same station wagon. I am sorry I did not get to meet the owner and his family. We were upstairs on the second floor...I think they were down by the pool level. When my wife says she like a station wagon, it is very cool. Those knobs were pretty cool in themselves, but to be on the Comet Wagon was just a big plus.

Jnaki
    Thanks for pointing that information out. We made those types of knobs when we were in junior high school (62 years ago) and were nice. But, they were not as nice as the ones in the Comet Wagon (Nov. 2017). (old tech vs new tech, no comparison) Here is something else in my research this morning.

upload_2018-3-28_7-51-13.png

https://www.facebook.com/numnobs/

https://www.numnob.com/about/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    rodncustomdreams likes this.
  9. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I agree. I'm not usually prone to envy. but, if I could raid anyone I knows garage it would be Mark's.

rodncustomdreams, drdave and loudbang like this.
  10. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

loudbang likes this.
  11. rudestude

rudestude

I doubt this place is still around if they were I bet they wouldn't be selling this stuff at those prices....[​IMG]