Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Wish I could but it is toooooooo far for me.

2. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Rick , it was good to see you there and it looked like a good time was had by all ! Thanks again for the water , I was pretty dry !

3. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

As usual, in a pinch, I can always count on Pete!

4. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here are the pictures of us on the freeway on our way home from LARS. The white pick up beside the Sedan is Pete.

Attached Files:

5. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Pete has good taste in trucks. Has there been any interest from TRJ, or they gonna toss to HR? This'd be great in TRJ.

6. patman

patman

[​IMG]

Shit, Toad! The man had me. He was beatin' me.

:D

7. Spork!

Spork!

I'm going to try to make it Thursday depending on how my work day goes. My office is in Santa Ana so traffic could be a bear. Then I have to drive home to Wildomar (Temecula) so that will be a haul too.

If I can leave work early I'll head up there. Is there a specific meeting spot?

Attached Files:

8. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

lomonte-
    Coincidentally Steve Coonan (TRJ) called Pete yesterday and said they were interested in doing an article on the Sedan.
    Spork!
    Not sure if there is a specific meeting spot. Call me on my cell when you get there and I will let you know where we are. 626-622-4488.

9. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

My Children have been grinding on dad about seat belts for the Sedan. With the shoot at Irwindale I am forced to comply with their wishes. My gift from them for Father's Day is that they would pay for the belts. I went to Deist on Monday, ordered the belts, and picked them up yesterday. They even have a DOT label on them. I also ordered some wheels from Real Rodders Wheels yesterday and I will be picking them up today. Is living in SoCal just the best or what? And no I'm not getting rid of the Halibrands I just wanted to car to look good with the slicks on it.

Pete is coming out today and we will be changing the rear end gears again, installing the drive shaft hoop, installing the seat belts and wiring in the line lock. Should be a productive day.

Maybe billsill45 can come by and take some pictures.

Attached Files:

10. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I was closer to be at Irwindale with you guys!

11. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

It will look great with the slicks on Rick, and the seat belts were a great gift!

12. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Hey Greg-
    You're a freelance writer. You should catch a plane now! Free room and board at my home any time.

You're right willysguy. I couldn't have asked for a better gift!

13. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Pictures? ... I'm on it.

14. Dennis Lesky

Dennis Lesky
    from Ionia, MI

I bought a shirt from you at LARS ,but better than that my friend and I were offered something to eat , a cookie or a water , I passed on the chicken , should of taken you up on a cookie or three but the water was appreciated , thanks ! I took the fenders off Regret , my 32 tudor because of your tudor and I raced Regret like you and Pete did yours and Regret got some ink I'm sure because you led the way so thank you again for putting yours back together and have fun , i've enjoyed mine ....

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damnit! Wish again I was living over there so I could be there to help at the track.

16. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Rick had a busy day, chasing parts and preparing the E & B '32 for track day and a photo shoot at Irwindale tomorrow. Productive work ... just not particularly photogenic. Photos show Rick & Mike Heather changing back to the 4.56 gears and Pete Eastwood wiring the line-lock. Other tasks on the list were the seat belts, mounting the slicks (which still hadn't arrived at 4:00 PM) on another pair of wheels, and a half dozen other details to make the car tech-inspection friendly.

As Rick noted this afternoon, back in the day of the original E & B '32, it was a lot easier to run at the drags: uncork the headers, bleed down the slicks, empty the excess crap out the car, borrow a helmet, strap in and you were locked and loaded, ready to launch. Today, it's a whole different deal.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  17. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I hate to be complainer but yesterday I was ready to through in the towel.
    Long wheel studs, bolt through lug nuts, overflow can, plugged breathers, shoulder harness, helmet and more. NONE of which we had to do last time. I guess I'm just out of touch. To many years away from the strip. Then I heard from friends that are regular racers that depending how fast it goes it may need a trans blanket and engine diaper. That is where I draw the line!

18. Hmmmm Pete says you already wear a diaper!!!!!!So whats the big deal???

19. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I just got home from the drags. First I want to thank Malcolm, Scott and Pete for their help in prepping the car after the photo shoot. Craig and Bill were there taking pictures and Tom was also there racing.
    My first pass was an easy pass and the Sedan went 7.62 @ 86.35 MPH on a .051 light.
    That got the people at the track irritated and they politely asked me to go home because I went to fast for the safety equipment we had compared to what they require. They said I needed arm restraints and a fire suit jacket. Tom went home and picked up his jacket and arm restraints. The track officials said I could make one more pass but that was it. It was awkward driving with the jacket and arm restraints. The tires spun and since it was the last pass they were going to let me run, I kept my foot in it and skated down the track.
    Needless to say, I was a little disappointed but had a blast anyway. I couldn't have made any passes without Pete's help. Thanks again Pete!!!!

20. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

21. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

After a last-minute thrash, Rick and Pete were able to make their deadline for a Hot Rod Magazine photo shoot and track time at the Irwindale Event Center (the new name for the former Toyota Speedway and 1/8 mile Dragstrip). Rick's post earlier this evening covered the names and details of the preparation for initial runs. Since the car is new and untested and NHRA rules needed to be observed, Rick didn't go all in on the two runs that he made. Still, the sedan ran hard, looked good and ran respectable times (a little too respectable to suit the track officials). Rick and Pete indicate that they are ready to make the necessary changes to make the car legal and to try another day at the races.

The blue Model A coupe is owned by Tom Vanderberg, who built the headers for the E & B '32. Tom built the A when he was a high school student 40 years ago. Tom and Rick were paired up for the second run of the evening. Unfortunately, it was too dark to get photos, but Tom's Ford will run as hard as the E & B '32.

HRM writers/photographers Thom Taylor and Brandan Gillogly can been seen track-side (bright yellow vests) working on their assignment for the the E & B sedan.

It was a good evening and lots of smiles all around ... not all the fun has been lawyered out of racing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rick, I would like to have 3 t-shirts in 2-xl. I don't know shit about using this computer, so will you contact me. My email is [email protected]. Thanks.

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rick, I would like to have 3 t-shirts in 2-xl. I don't know crap about using this computer, so will you contact me. My email is [email protected]. Thanks.

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, sorry I missed this. I would've loved to have seen this.
    Post again if you're going our anytime soon.
    Shades of OCIR in the early 80's��.

25. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Glad it went well and all had fun. Safety weenies, geez. Stoked about the TRJ possibilities! That'd be a great forum for this car's story.

26. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Looks like there was enough pit crew, sorry I missed it. 4 1/2 hours of conference calls made it impossible. I think i need to reorganize my priorities.

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

28. Here's a few photo's I took yesterday at Irwindale.
    I think everyone had a good day, as mentioned above, Rik & Pete had a lot of support crew to help if needed.
    Thanks for the invite Rik!
    Craig

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  29. A few more after the first pass........

Attached Files:

30. Here's Rik ready for his first pass.
    I tried to capture Rik off the line but he was running sooo damn fast I only caught the back of the car........it was a good day!