Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

FREQUENT, Yes FREQUENT, this isn't a Brass Era restoration, we want to see progress!:D

2. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

We should have some photos this week. Does anyone remember a second Eastwood & Barakat car? If you do, tell everyone what it was. This will really test your knowledge of the 1980's. By the way, it took first place at Fremont 2 years after the first car.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That wasn't a black deuce roadster, was it? I remember something to that effect...

4. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

No, in fact it was painted the same as the '32.

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

2nd as in identical twin? I know Bill Paul RECENTLY had built a "tribute" car, but I'd sure like to see some pics! That original E&B car you guys built IS the car that taught a lot of us that old cars are fun and not sacred cows.

6. RDR

RDR

Pwood and Barakat......a couple a old men having FUN!!.......COOL

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure how I missed this one but I'm subscribing right now. I'll be wanting an XX shirt when you get around to having them done up. I'll make an exception to my No white shirts rule for this one.

8. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

The E & B Sedan has always been a favorite and like many others is influencing my current project. I need a large shirt.

Attached Files:

9. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Different year and different body style. Come on guys talk to some of the other "old men" you know.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

HELL YES!!!!! On the updates and the reserection. The sooner you get started the sooner we stop bugging you about it. Oh yea, get the t-shirt thing going to. I'll take a 2X large. I was a medium when you built the first one.:eek::D
    BTW, the '32 in my avatar was greatly influenced by the E&B car only I had a set of fenders and used them for the crappy weather we have here in Michigan. The interrior is bare bones with only a seat and no other upholstery. Great fun for almost 20 years.

Frank

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  11. I remember a red oxide 34 coupe I believe you and Pete raced when we were at fremont for an NDRA race.
    Brent Bodily (once owner of the E&B sedan) and I raced a 32 pickup then.

Mick

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  12. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Mick: You are 100% correct. That coupe ran 11.04 at 127mph that year. Do you have any pictures of the '34? E-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you a free t-shirt when they are ready! Great memory!
    Rick

13. chubbo

chubbo

Hey it's me Harold Voelker, I never new that I had the Famous Barakat/Eastwood Chassis!!!

14. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

i remember the primer red 34, was a fast ride with a tuff look. refreshing at that time.

15. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Harold: I'm glad you didn't know. Here is a little bit of info. Jake (Former owner owner of Pete and Jake's) still has the bent 4 bar and bat wing from the sedan chassis. It seems everyday something new pops up for us thanks to this forum. I'm waiting for some info to come in on a really bizarre story that I need to verify before spreading the rumor.

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Any pics on this '34 coupe?

17. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here is a picture of the coupe. I'm on the left and Pete is on the right.

Attached Files:

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Takarab and Doowtsae (doot-say)!
    NEVER saw this coupe. Thanks for the pics and thanks for digging up a grungy, badass, fun hot rod too.

19. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

brings back the memories! cool photo.

20. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Things just seem to falling into place. Today Pete found the original fuel pump in the parts pile. A pretty rare one that is tough to find today. It is a Stewart Warner. OE on the Cobras.

21. river1

river1

rick,

do you have the paypal set up yet?

later jim

22. banginona40

banginona40

Watching this thread!

23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Sorry I missed my Monday commitment. I hope this makes it O.K.
    Below is a list of 6 articles with the E & B Sedan in it. Here's the deal. Anyone who can add to the list and is willing to send me the magazine with the article in it will get a FREE E & B T-shirt. Only the first post with the article mentioned will get the Free T-shirt. Upon receipt of the magazine, the t-shirt will be sent. By the way, the shirts will be shipped out this Friday for those that ordered them.
    Here are the ones I already have.
    Street Rodder September 1982 Cover and page 52
    Hot Rod November 1982 Cover, editorial, and page 40
    Scandinavian Magazine "Colorod" November 1983 Page 52
    Hot Rod January 2008 page 53 Top 100
    Hot Rod Deluxe July 2009 page 68
    Hot Rod November 2010 page 44

There are about 20 other articles out there including such periodicals as Drive and Catalogs. (I think I remember being told it was in the Edelbrock catalog in 1983 or 1984)
    If you are more tech savvy than me, please post the articles for all to enjoy.

24. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Funny to see this thread today. I was unboxing old magazines in the garage Sunday to sort of catalog what I have, and remember seeing the Hot Rod cover shot. Otherwise I wouldn't have remembered the Barakat name.

25. Terrific to hear you are resurrecting your famous sedan! Rick, I am another on the long list of folks influenced by seeing your Hot Rod at a time when there were fewer "fun" cars on the road. I was on one of my frequent trips to Southern California when I saw your car in Utah - headed north on I-15. I don't recall just when this was; maybe speed week.. (perhaps you recall?), but the image of a real hot rod on the road at that time - wow(!), it stuck with me. I'm sure this was before I had seen it in any of the magazines. Thanks for rekindling the passion for many of us (then and again)!

-Dave

26. Hello Rick, Craig Wise here. I had the E&B chassis for 24 years! I knew what I had and always wanted to build a clone but just couldn't put the money together for the build. I thought after finishing my 40 PU the tudor it would be a great project in my retirement. It just never happened. My oldest son Gary bought the E&B chassis from Harold (Harold and I worked together painting Billboards for Foster & Kleiser and owned Red Lion Silkscreen Co. printing nostalgia drag racing & old racing logos on t-shirts) along with Harold's 48 Woodie. Gary need some money to restore the woody soooo he asked good ol'dad if I'd buy the chassis, I did and for the next 24 years it was buired away in my storage garage. About three years ago I contacted the owner of the original E&B tudor body after seeing the finished car at the 2010 GNRS, I offered the chassis to Dale but he told me he had another project going on and would have to pass. 2009 son Gary come back into the picture, he want to build a 32 tudor and has been collecting parts and asked if I'd be interested in going partners on the build, I said sure BUT it has to be chopped! well he wanted a unchop'd tudor so that project went nowhere. I have wanted a chop'd tudor for 50+ years, when I was really young I remember seeing Dean Moon's 32 tudor running at the lakes, that's when the love affair started! After talking to Pete at the 2011 GNRS I thought it was time to let this one go back to the original builders, it's going to be a fun project to watch come together! Life is all about timing, have fun and I want a ride when your finished. OH YA, my PU still isn't finished, will be soon I hope? Next project.......a chop'd 32 tudor!
    cw.

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Craig: Sorry I misspelled your name when the history of the chassis was explained. I am grateful that you decided to sell it back to us. Rest assured, it will never leave our hands again. I know all cars guys regret letting one "get away". We are one of the lucky ones to get a second chance!
    Rick

28. Not a problem Rick.
    I'd like to stop by Pete's and check the build sometime, please keep me posted.
    2-XL
    cw.

29. I always dug that sedan because it would show it's oats at the track, not just a look pretty type but a put it to the floor and hang on type !

30. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

The shirts are printed and I'm picking them up tomorrow. I will be shipping them out on Friday. I have just a few left if anyone else is interested.
    Again, thanks for all the interest.
    Rick