Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Back to fun stuff......Here are some pictures of today's project. I must admit, it was hard to start machining such nice wheels. Anyone who has machined magnesium knows how high the fire risk is. I edited out the flames....

Attached Files:

2. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Now it's on to Eric Vaughn's for the finishing touches!

3. Rick, ask Eric how my louver panel is coming. It's only been there 2 years!!

4. Yep, but it's fun lighting the chips on fire when your done machining. Glad dad was a fireman.:cool:

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Certainly easier routes to take for this "look".....SO GLAD you're taking the hard way!!

6. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here is the back side. No fire today. Yippee!!!
    I made a mistake on an earlier post....Eric Vaughn no longer machines magnesium. Instead I will be doing the finish machining under his tutelage. In my mind that is even better!

Attached Files:

7. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Pete asked to come by his place today to see more parts that he got. He talks to Joey DeMarco regularly and Joey volunteered to bring these parts by.

The drive shaft hoop is the original from the E&B sedan. Joey didn't use it on the roadster and is giving it to us.

The trailer hitch is the original one from the E&B sedan as well. You can see where the rear bolts go the frame and the ones closest attach to the rear spreader bar.

The hood side has a story all it's own. Most car guys hate to throw things away and this hood side is one of those things. You will notice the inside is painted RED. When Pete sold his red '32 roadster in '81, the new owner put a 3 piece hood it. Pete bought the old hood, primed it, and used it on the E&B sedan

That's something even the "EXPERTS" wouldn't know.

Just another chapter in the E&B story.

Rick

Attached Files:

8. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here are the pictures of the hood side.

Attached Files:

9. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here is the driveshaft hoop.
    I couldn't get all the pictures to load into one post.

Attached Files:

• hoop.jpg
      hoop.jpg
      File size:
      496.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Hey Pete & Rick,
    Thats one neat story really. I love to hear of things like which part went where etc and I guess thats why I enjoy the Thom Taylor story on Deconstruction of a Coupe that appeared in TRJ.

Pete, you may not remember but at CHRR one year when you displayed the Mondello & Matsabura car in a mocked up state, I met you with GMT, I still have the T-shirt you gave us of that car. GMT also gave me one of your PWoods garage shirts too. Anyway, I love the cars you build and the E&B car is one of my all time favs.

I bought a couple of shirts off Rick and send him the NZ Hot Rod Magazine each month. I am coming to CHRR next month and it would be nice to catch up with you guys.

Best regards,

Greg Stokes
    Auckland
    New Zealand

11. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Hey Rick, very nice meeting you and the family this past weekend. Let me know what Pete says about my chassis that we talked about, Thanks.

12. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Dean-
    I'm having lunch with Eric today and I will ask about your panel.
    Greg-
    Your Magazine is AWESOME! I can't believe the quality of the print and articles.
    We are definitely planning on meeting up with you.
    Chris-
    Check your messages for chassis info.
    Bill-
    Let me know when you hit town.

13. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Hey Rick, dumb question time. Why didn't you just use the spindle mounts the way they were? I know the original car had bolt-ons but the spindle mounts are really cool.

14. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Dale-
    Brake issues for the speed and weight....less polishing....needed something to do this week. Nah, that's BS. We just like the look of a wheel that was never made. Kind of like the fuel filler door on your 40.

15. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I can't think of a better reason to change something......Well I probably could but, that one is good enough for me.

16. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

2 years ago Cyclone Kevin took me to the site where P&J/P'Wood/Ev had their shops and to where the the coupe was deconstructed - boy is that area steeped in hot rod history.

I guess thats one area where us traditional hot rod guys get it.

17. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

A sad day for those of us who knew Don Blair. His passing 2 days ago is sad but memories of him are not. Many posts ago I mentioned that Pete worked for Don along with many other notables and that Don was the first person to give me a credit account. May God bless his soul!

18. Rick = http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630847

19. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Don- Thanks for the link.
    On a lighter note, If anyone can figure out what is in these pictures, I will happily poke a little fun at myself and surely become the butt of many jokes. Those of you who have done the same thing, now have a new member to the club. I'll even send a free E&B shirt to the one who first provides the correct answer.

Attached Files:

20. tinmann

tinmann

I'm gonna guess that "was" an original radiator cap for your '32 that you decided to clean up in a molasses and water soak. I did the same thing with a grill shell with the original bezel attached. The second guess is the same procedure with original gas tank cap.

Size XXL please.

21. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Looks like you caught the bench stool on fire.Maybe by grinding or sparks from the torch.Wait its too big for that.It must be the spare tire cover that you were trying to strip.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

22. Looks like you caught the shop vac on fire!

Sucking up the magnesium chips from working on the wheels?

23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

ELpolacko-
    You are the winner!!! Did you know that from experience? Almost everyone I know who has machined magnesium has had a fire at one time or another. I was using the shop vac to keep the chips confined during the machining process. Good thing I did.Since I couldn't use water to put it out(because it burns more and hotter), I sucked it up as fast as I could so the shop wouldn't burn down and took it outside. I did save the top(now worthless) but even after dumping out the fire inside it still melted like the witch in the Wizard of Oz. I need your address and shirt size so I can ship it to you.
    Thanks,
    Rick

24. Oh no! I would never do anything like that

/sarcasm

Never achieved total melt down, but I have had a few smoldering...

I think "needlouvers?" Mag story is one of the best though. He was sanding the lips of a rough set of Halibrands on his primordial broom finished concrete carriage house when he thought it would be keen to gather up a small pile and light it. Yeah, there was enough Magnesium powder in the cracks and crevices that he didn't clear away that when the small mound of Mag went up, it sent tracers and eventually lit up the whole shop floor.

I wish I was there to point and laugh!

Info being sent, loving the build!

25. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Steve-
    On my way to the post office now. Wear it in good health!
    Rick

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are either of you two making the trek to Hershey?

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Pete usually goes but this year it isn't working out. Unfortunately, I have never been there. Someday......

28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

We used to have a drum full of mag scraps and shavings where I worked. ElPolacko, all I need to say is, " I got Dave Geoffs a job there" and you gotta know some hilarity went down.

Ever see a '58 Sedan De'Ville do a John Force style burnout in magnesium dust at night?

29. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Rick, sent you a PM.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, I'll look for all the '09 two pedal two lever stuff. You have to get there some year!:)