Register now to get rid of these ads!

Earthquakes and hotrodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustyBolts, Nov 1, 2007.

1. We had a 5.6 earthquake the other night. Not a huge one, but I did go out to check on my project car that's sitting way up high on jack stands to make sure it hadn't toppled over. Everything was OK. I'm glad I had built the shelves all around the garage with lips on them so that junk can't just roll off the shelves and fall on top of my cars.

It reminded me of back in the Loma Prieta earthquake though, when my brother had just finished building a Buick Nailhead and it was sitting on one of those cheap three wheeled engine stands. The earthquake knocked it over and it made a huge gouge in the concrete garage floor, but luckily didn't hurt the nailhead. Ever since then, I only use the nice wide four legged variety of engine stands.

Has anyone ever been working under their car during an earthquake? When I'm underneath my car working on it, I sometimes wonder to myself "Jeez, I hope we don't have an earthquake right now". Sometimes I throw a big wood timber under the frame so that if the car falls off the jackstands, I won't be crushed like a bug.

2. RatBone

RatBone

ALL THE TIME! I always worry about it. I cant believe they sell wheel dollies for cars in california, talk about a missle! I have heavy crossmembers and parts in my rafters in the garage and they are all wired to the studs with ss heavy wire.

3. It scared the crap outta me...I was parked in a station on board my train (I drive em) and it started shaking...I was like..WTF?

Got out to see what was happening...and the ground was shaking...yeah...I was worried!!

We don't get em in the UK!

4. 5.6 earthquake? haha I'd probably be crying like a little girl

5. raaf

raaf

everytime i lean something heavy up against the wall, the earthquake scenario kicks in and i end up moving it. kinda silly to always have the worst case scenario in your head. ...or maybe not. i walked around northridge after that big one in the 90s and that's been on my mind ever since.

on the other hand, if the jackstands happen to stay put, and they are truly heavy duty... maybe being under a car is the safest place around. ha ha.

6. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Good point, after the Northridge earthquake in 94, I remember being extra carefull about were I put stuff.
    And now, I have parts hanging from the rafters, just waiting to hit someone or something.
    I have to get my act together again and make everything save.
    ***We all know, the big one is comming, soon***

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Loma Prieta I had a '34 pickup on jack stands with no wheels on it. It shook off to the rear and hit my engine stand and knocked it over with the motor on it. Big nitrous bottle fell over,and my bookcase. This one was much nicer.

8. Wow...I have to admit, I haven't really thought about it until now. There's plenty of stuff in my garage that could fall and damage my car, but worse yet,,,,containers of flammable liquids that could rupture from a fall from that height. We're not on a fault here in the Sac area, but we did get a decent shake from the big one in '89. Time to clean up...

Bryan

9. 5.6 i felt that.....I was stuck on the phone with a "tech" from sbc trying to get my DSL service back up when I felt the ground shift my office chair left to right I said "hold on I think I just felt an earth quake" the guy on the other line with his thick 7-11 accent said "dear god man save your self "...lol. I was laughing so hard I hung up on him

ps. i did go straight out and check the garage all was in it place...

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Another reason to stay in Michigan.. Sure its fucking cold in the winter but we dont have any fires here (at least by me) or quakes or floods and its deer season! Got a 7 point with a bow sunday so we have meat too... :) You guys should all be investing in amphacars (spelling) so when the big split happens you can at least get back to the main land for beer... :)
    Dave

11. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

But we have all the hot chicks:D :D :D
    I hear ya, sometimes you ask yourself why we live here.

12. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

My girlfriend got a bit upset when I ran from the living room where I was, into the garage to make sure the Caddy was ok..........she was in the bedroom and I went there next.

13. lewislynn

lewislynn

Whenever I have anything up on jackstands with the wheels off, or even if I have something on a jack to change a tire, I always lay the wheel and tire under the chassis...6 inches or so could make the difference of life or death.

14. I always give a car on jackstands a good shove and shake before I get under it.

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuck that, the earth moves and I'm out of there. I'm glad I live where the only time the earth shakes is when I go to the drags! Only two things scare me and one of them is earthquakes.
    The other is carnies....... small hands, smell like cabbage.

16. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

If I stopped walking up the escalator here for a quake that small, old women would push me outta the way!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, it's f#cked!!!

17. Brian,

Ginger says.....Asshole!

I say...well done, got the priorities right :D

18. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

No you don't, Mexico got them all (At least all the brunette ones with real boobs).

Earthquakes - now there's a car building issue I never thought much about.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the hot chicks?? Come on over to the Gold Coast on a nice sunny day, Aussy women are the best! (And no earthquakes!)

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

man screw that earth shaking shit..my wifes from peru and they just had a big shaker about 3 months ago 8.7 or something like that..it leveled the town 70 miles south of where shes from. like 1500 dead and many many wounded..you left coasters can have that shit..and your wild fires too...that kinda shit scares me, all due respect to you all out there fighting all this natural disaster crap..enough is enough..

21. danagamer

danagamer

Felt that one, wasn't that big really. It just went on longer than most. We had some pictures fall off the wall. Hell, our house is 102 years old. It survived the 1906 and the 1989. All ancient redwood framing, totally flexes with the quakes. Too bad it's all been chopped down!

earthquakes keep the pussies away.

22. newstranger

newstranger

I was having dinner with my girl in SF when this latest one hit. I didn't even notice it... of course I was only into my second beer, so I probably still had the shakes! :D

-ns

23. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I feel for Y'all...The only things we really worry about here in Austin are lots of water (worse for the surrounding counties than us) and the "Fickle finger of God...or "God's cleansing winds"...or "J.C.'s Trailer park removal service"-same thing, just depends on your outlook on Tornados...I like 'em- they make you pay more attention to storms-and nothing's cooler than watching a big assed Texas thunderstorm roll into town.

24. 8flat

8flat

That is funny shit.....

25. kiotes

kiotes

You just keep them out there, and I keep the snow and cold here.