Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Hot Rod Sketches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 10, 2007.

1. here they are Butch (I think they're in reverse order from the index):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

X-cpe, Spooky and Stogy like this.
  2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Sketch art from Henning & Ritch, Rod & Custom Magazine 1955 that I had tattood on my left forearm recently. Tire smoke was slightly altered from the original. I think I new R&C Americruise logo has the same art.

[​IMG]

3. turdytoo

turdytoo

Lovem. The notebook paper lines are the ultimate touch. You should be very proud of them and are fortunate to still have them.

4. heres the gus' sketches that Silhouettes 57 sent me and i resized for him

Attached Files:

X-cpe and Stogy like this.
  5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

WOW!!!! great stuff.

6. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Here is my rendition of a '34 based on Vern Hammonds car...damn I love '33-'34 Fords!!!
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  7. Ryan, I think your post is being misinterpreted.

"Reply to to this post with your early sketch work".....personal members own work or those of Teague, Maanum, Burnette, etc.?

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I figure out my scanner I have a couple of scetches my grandfather did during WWII and the late 40s. My father has some more from the 50s. Unfortunately for me the oldest pic I have is from only 10 years ago, lost everything in a Bushfire.
    This is my oldest and as usual for me, unfinished.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, fire away its Pro Street but it was a while ago and I was into dragracing at the time.....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Very interesting thread. Just a few weeks ago my sister presented me with my old binder from about 6th grade (1964-5) It had a few of my old car drawings in it. I drew cars endlessly all through school and wish I had all of them now. Many were inspired by magazine cars and Cartoons. Someday when I am off this horrible dialup I will post the few that I have.

10. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

11. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Thanks SKO_Ford and to NATE for resizing the Gus pictures for me.
    It's stuff like this that makes H.A.M.B. great.
    Butch

12. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I understood this to be the work of early hot rod artists like Gus Maamum, not stuff done by "us" back in "the day".

I'm really surprized that there is was not more of this art. The little drawings I posted show that alot of it was done for advertisers. I wonder if this stuff is just lost or maybe the big hot rod publications has archives of this. I'd also think that some of the orginal artists must have saved it and it's out there somewhere. Anybody out there have more or is that it?

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

Okay - maybe a stretch - but these early renderings remind me of that 1980's music video (I can olny remember the chorus "Take on me - take me on ..." where they guy and girl turn into characters in a black and white comic book cartoon and there are these vintage racers there ... ringin any bells? Did I hallucinate the whole thing?

14. flyin-t

flyin-t

Don't know if this is early enough for you Ryan, but I'll post it any way. Picked up this old booklet at a swap 'bout 20 years ago. Only art work is on the cover and no credit to the artist to be found. Lots of great pictures though.

15. Barney Oldfield. First man to hit 60 mph...

[​IMG]

16. flyin-t

flyin-t

And of course there's the work of Eldon Snapp and Wally Parks in the late 30's and early 40's which was written about in Albert Drake's great book 'Flat Out', where I got these pics.

17. gigantor.. A-Ha.. take on me... I'd post the video from youtube but i feel like it would seriously compromise the integrity of the thread

;)

18. flyin-t

flyin-t

And one of Gus Maanum's early ones from '46.

19. Here's a Rex Burnett rendering from the April 1949 Hot Rod of my wife's ex-father-in-law's 32. Supposedly the first coupe ever to grace the cover of HRM. He still lives in town at the age of 83 but unfortunately a series of strokes have ruined a lot of his memory.I'm still trying to get some of his stories on tape.

Attached Files:

20. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Bob Freeman,
    The last sketch of the head, exhaust port and the cam drive, looks like it was done freehand!? VERY NEAT!!!

Rex

21. Gus Mannum was also pretty good at portraits as this 1946 sketch of Randy Shinn proves.

Mick

Attached Files:

22. rosemarymanley

rosemarymanley
    from Dallas TX

I have just registered. I am Gus Maanum's niece and have just found some of his drawings, a couple of Christmas cards he designed, a couple of Southern California Timing Association programs, & some photos of him in my mother's keepsakes. I am VERY interested in knowing more about Gus and his art. My email address is [email protected].

23. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

Welcome to our automotive community---THE H.A.M.B. is AMAZING!!!......:

24. Gigantor

Gigantor

That's the one! I don't know what's sadder, that I remember that video more than I remember classes I took in college, or that you remember the name of the band and the song:D
    Seriously though, I'm gonna go look it up now and watch it, and suffer through the five minutes just to absorb those cool cartoons.
    Thanks for proving I'm not insane, and YES, it would seriously compromise the integrity of this thread AND the HAMB in general. A-Ha ... you're killin' me.

25. G'day Rosemary, welcome!
    There is a article on Gus Maanum in issue 27 of 'The Rodders Journal' it has some good info and a wide variety of his work. http://www.roddersjournal.com/
    Cheers
    Jimmy

26. rosemarymanley

rosemarymanley
    from Dallas TX

G'day to you, too, Jimmy B from Down Under!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thanx for the quick reply. I really appreciate your pointing me to this article. When my grandmother, that is Gus' & my mother's mum, died in the 1920's, all the children were separated and raised by different relatives. I always live in the eastern <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region>, whereas Gus lived on the west coast. I met him only once when I was about 4, and had only scant info on him from my mother. She died in 1967 and Gus' siblings have all passed. So now that I in my older years have time to be interested in my family, I would love some more info on Gus. One question: I see that issue 27 is available for purchase with 2 different covers, Cover A with a Bare metal 1936 Ford Coupd and Cover B with a 1932 Ford Coupe. Which has the article you referred to, or does it matter which I order?<o:p></o:p>
    Also, my interest was spurred when the other night my hubby & I watched a PBS (Public Television) episode of the program called "History Detectives" that featured a car collector's search for info on an old 1930's vintage rod he had bought. All of sudden there was a Southern California Timing Association program on the tele screen with one of Gus' signed drawings on the cover. We have ordered the DVD of that program from PBS. It gives a lot of info about the racing done on the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">California</st1:place></st1:State> flats in the 1930's. We are excited to learn what a gifted artist and highly-regarded member of the racing field Gus was.<o:p></o:p>

27. http://youtube.com/watch?v=CUod3jGQt0U

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ioqO5mDE7u8

28. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Besides Gus and Rex I also like the work by Jim Richards.
    Here are some that have been shown and not shown that I know of.
    I'll post some by Richards also. I bought this book off of eBay for 12 bucks. The cover was a bit lousy but the lithographs are in fantastic shape. The Hilborn one is my favorite. Sorry the last ones a double.

BR

Attached Files:

Spooky and Stogy like this.
  29. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Jim Richards.

Jan 1952 Hop Up.
    March 1952 Hop Up

BR

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  30. Both mags have the same content, they just have different covers, one for Newsstand/bookstore the other for subscription/dealer.

Ah, that is why there has been a few threads about that show. Sounds like it was worth it.
    Cheers
    Jimmy