Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Hemi Overdrive Install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spezialitat71, Jun 23, 2008.

1. spezialitat71

spezialitat71

I bought an A518 Transmission adapter for my 1952 Hemi. Does anyone have any tips? I have to find a transmisson and have the bell machined off to make it work. If anyone can recommend a good trans guy, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
    Jere

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man,

hmmmm... nobody makes an adapter?? Pat at Wilcap might be able to work with you. Any reason for this particular transmission? I wouldn't cut that bellhousing off if you don't have to. That's a recipe for other problems. There's a lot of overdrive transmissions available that you can potentially make work without doing a major modification to that block like that.

How much room do you have and what are you looking to do with the car? Peformance desired??

3. 73RR

73RR

The 518 is an excellent trans, but......the cost of doing the needed work on the block will probably exceed the cost of a later block. Pat McGuire (Wilcap) had/has an adapter the requires chopping of the front of the trans case and mounting to the small front pump bolts, but.....why not use more compatible parts to start with ???

4. spezialitat71

spezialitat71

I purchased the kit for the 518 from Hot Hemi Heads. It looks to be a good kit with all the hardware...and a flexplate included. Wilcap actually makes it, but does not list it. Before I purchased it, I tried to look at all my options.....and unless I went with a manual trans, this seemed to be my only option for an overdrive. I do have to machine off the front of the trans case......I can forward the instructions to anyone who would liek to see them....just let me know.....