Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early ford spoon pedal help??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nick28, Dec 11, 2013.

1. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

I'm installing a mid 30's truck spoon in my '32 roadster. I was assuming this would be pretty straight forward but this is how the pedal sits when the spring has tension on it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386795151.283527.jpg

Surely I'm over looking something or is there more modifications that have to be made?

Thanks for any help!

Few more photos:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386795207.248631.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386795220.283192.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Did someone weld the spoon stem to the cross shaft? My spoon pedal stem has a round hole, it slides onto the cross shaft and is pinned. Can't see yours very good in the pics. As long as you have the proper travel and nothing binds up, heat the stem with an oxy/actel torch and bend it where it works for you. It's a forging, as long as you don't melt it and let it cool slowly it will be fine.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

That's you return spring, when you attach the rod from the firewall side of the gas linkage to the carb it will stay down.

4. It looks like you are missing the spring,,I realize I am posting a 32 pedal but I would think yours should have one. HRP

[​IMG]

5. Try actually connecting it to the carb and check for full throttle opening and see where that puts the pedal spoon. The arm in the engine bay looks a bit low at present and should be up around the 45 degree mark in order to get some effective travel. Once you have done that then make any final adjustment on the "spoon" height.

6. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

The spring is there I think idahodave has it, there is no rod attached to carbs yet.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. fortynut

fortynut

I have one from a '39 pickup hanging up in my shop. I'll take a closer look, but isn't the spring clocked to keep tension on, for throttle return? I'll have to look. One word of caution, never heat anything that includes a spring unless you remove the spring, or take measures to keep it from heating (like wrapping in a wet shop rag) or it will no longer be a spring, just coils of wire.

8. Hard to see in the photo,is it possible the spring is reversed? HRP

9. Andy

Andy

Every thing is correct. The spring pushes the carb linkage forward to close the throttle.

10. alchemy

alchemy

Once it's hooked to the carb the angle should be more comfortable.

11. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the help guys....I was over "thinking it".....