Register now to get rid of these ads!

early ford rear axle with slide in axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike budniewski, Nov 28, 2005.

1. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

can anybody tell me what parts are involved in installing slide in axles into a 36 ford centersection? i know years ago guys used 49-50 merc spider gears-axles and merc brakes with the merc outer axle housing ends thanks mike

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This was covered in detail in a fifties Car Craft, if anyone can diggitup. Same general process as 9" Ford axles--cut off bearings on the Ford, weld in the bearing ends cut from the Merc, bore out ring gear slightly, I think minor clearancing on Merc side gears. The article notes that same thing could be done with slightly stouter parts from '49 type Lincoln.
    There also usetabe in the speed catalogs a circle track setup that involved bolt-on bearing stubs from Ford 3/4 ton truck to allow full floating truck axles.
    Anyone ever encounter one of those setups?

3. alchemy

alchemy

My Dad did it years ago to two different rearends. I'm pretty sure one donor was a '50 Merc and the other was a late '60's truck 9". Both gave the 5.5" bolt circle.

4. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I'm doing the Hot Rod Works conversion on a '41 rear axle (plus an open drive conversion and Model A spring hangers) over the winter. I'll try to take some photos and do a tech article. But that's probably 3-4 months away.