Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Ford Gurus...What Year is This Steering Column Drop?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bass, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I just got this Ford steering column drop that appears to be NOS, but I can't figure out what year it is, or the original application. It has a hole that looks like a column shifter shaft would pass through, but the drop is shaped like a '37 Ford. The column shift hole makes me think '40-48, but this doesn't look like any '40-48 column drop I've ever seen.

To complicate things even more, the part number cast into it doesn't match up with anything in the "green bible."

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Andy

Andy

3. I was going to suggest possibly a Mercury? Lincoln is also a good answer.. May not be a Ford but a Ford "variant"?

I'm sure Bruce Lancaster will have a good idea!

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Lincoln and Merc were stranger than that...
    I'm not familiar with the one shown, but if hole is for column shift, as it appears, I think it must be from some circa 1942-47 truck application. Pure guess, but not '40 or '42-8 passenger, so pickup...??

5. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Aren't all '40-48 Ford pickups floor shift? I googled images of all the Mercury and Lincoln dashboards from '39-48, and none of them match up.

Could it be some odd Ford COE truck that was column shift?

6. I would think all COE's would have been floor shift also.

7. couverkid

couverkid

Some 40-41 pickups had column shift. Will look when I go to my dads. He hss some.

8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

That could be it, I suppose. Where it bolts up looks about the same as the typical '40-41 pickup. I never knew you could get a pickup with column shift.

Thanks Steve.

9. Looks similar to one I have on a column out of a '36 1 1/2ton.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

After reading this Ford Barn post, I think we are on to something...although no one ever posted a photo of the elusive '41 Ford optional column shift steering column drop.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31148

I think that's what this is...and this one is NOS. There can't be many of these left floating around.