Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Ford Delux wheel on F1 column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by suede55bowtie, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I used the search function but couldnt find a definitive answer.

I kept reading that it fit, it didnt fit, and it fit with an adapter.

Whats the low down? I plan on stickin a '47ish Ford Deluxe steering wheel on top this '55ish F1 column when I buy it for my roadster.

Thanks guys

2. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

If the 55 is a tapered and keyed shaft,then it will bolt on.
    But I don't know if it is.
    Not much help am I ?

3. blackout

blackout

F-1 is splined. 55 is F-100. 47 is tapered. I know there is an adapter to use a T steering wheel which gets you to a taper, but I do not know if this will mate up to a 47 wheel. Short of an adapter, it's cut off and weld to get the sector shaft to match the wheel.

4. klazurfer

klazurfer

I was just recently asked the very same Q , And after some brainwork ( With input from friends ) : F1 ( `48 -`52 ) has a tapered and keyed shaft , F100 ( `53 - (?) has a splined shaft , So a pre `49 Ford Steeringwheel won`t fit .
    Klaz

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vintique and Le Carra make replicas that are splined--I have one on my 40 coupe --looks nears stock except it's 16"

6. klazurfer

klazurfer

My bad : blackout is right : Both F1 & F100 ( `48 - ) has splined shafts ( Same spline as Ford passenger car steering-wheels `49 & up .
    Ford Passenger car shafts ( pre `49 ) are tapered and keyed .
    Klaz

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I grafted an early Ford shaft to this F100 box including the locking wheel feature. I used a 39 tube and drop. It looks like the old Ford stuff but steers much better.

8. blackout

blackout

Slick work, Tommy. I did one similar with the locking column in the past. Recently did a 'vair box (on top of the rail, very low chassis) with an F-1 shaft, 37 pick-up column cover with a white Moon wheel, 60's style.

9. T Weed

T Weed

I put a 47 Ford truck wheel (keyway type) on a 50 Ford truck column (splined type) by just cutting a keyway in the newer shaft. We found that the taper on both shafts was the same. If I remember correctly we just shaved the splines off in the lathe, put the old wheel with key on and I was good to go,,,its been in my t roadster for years now...

10. Roger that, Ive got a spare model A steering shaft. Could I graft the keyed section onto my F1 shaft so I could run that wheel? Or is the model A steering shaft not even keyed?

11. alchemy

alchemy

You will probably find the truck column is too long for your roadster, so while you are shortening it, chuck it in a lathe and put the proper taper and new threads on the shortened end. Kill two birds with one pebble.

12. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

What smaller diameter wheel will fit on the tapered-keyway shaft?

13. blackout

blackout

Never mind this post.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  14. Excuse me for asking so many questions, I just really wanna get the steering stuff squared away on my car so I can drive it hahaha...So any ford wheel post '49 will fit on an F1 column???

15. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

I got an F-100 wheel ill sell ya!

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The spline will most likely fit the shaft. This is an optional 57 Merc wheel on an F100 shaft. I did have to cut off the turn signal housing to fit right.

[​IMG]

Other wheels may fit also. This is a 53 Hudson wheel on the same shaft.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On wheels and pitman arms...Detroit uses and has used WAY fewer splines than you'd guess. You will find a big range of interchange, even including some furrin cars, and same splines in use over MANY decades. I'm guessing everyone in the industry buys their spline hobs from the same supplier and has done so since the invention of dirt.

18. Wow thanks alot everyone! SROSA the column I found has a clean F1 wheel on it, I just hate that wheel though! haha

Thanks again everyone