Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early ford axle + late hubs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thecheappolock, Sep 2, 2010.

1. I've got a early ford I-beam axle, 33-36 I think. Will any late model hubs fit without a lot of mods?

Thanks,

Dan

2. What is late model? You can use the '36 spindles and convert to late model ('39-'48) brakes if that will meet your criteria. Contact some of the street rod suppliers about disc brake kits for the '36 spindles (you may need spindles a couple of years newer but ask the suppliers).

Charlie Stephens

3. F&J

F&J

What do you mean by late model hubs?

Disc?

or like 40 Ford or later 40s...or ?

You also need to do a pic because there are several splindles that yours could be.

If you don't have spindles, then there are other spindles than just 33-36 that will work.

4. I've got a complete drum to drum axle. I'd really like to keep drums on it, don't really like the look of discs on a solid axle.
    So I guess "late model" would mean something I can put later, say maybe econoline, brakes and rims on.

I dunno, maybe it's a stupid question...

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

It's not a dumb question at all, you just need to be a little more specific. The easiest route would be a set of 39-48 Ford/Merc brakes and backing plates which will adapt easily to your spindles with a few piston rings and valve seats, as long as you don't have the oddball '36s with the different offset. You can also install '37-48 spindles on that axle and the brakes will just bolt up.

As far as anything later, F1 pickup brakes are a good choice and adapt to early spindles easily, Early econoline stuff can be adapted, but is more work...

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Not a stupid question at all. Get ready for a barrage of answers from everyone.

Ford F1 pickup ('48-'52) backing plates and drums fit, but with a slight difference in the bolt pattern...There's a way to match them up, with a little work on the bore of backing plate and the hole pattern.
    Easiest is to get '39-'48 spindles, then use F1 or F100 brakes. (F100 '53-'56) need a different inner wheel bearing, fits spindle to hub. There was a lengthy thread some months back, all you could ever want to know.

I see Thunderbird typed faster, good info.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010