Register now to get rid of these ads!

early flathead transmission options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1LIFE2LIVE, May 3, 2009.

1. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

I am looking for a different transmission to run on my dads 44 ford 1.5 ton truck. The stock tranny is such a pain to drive and is leaking all over the place that we have decided to upgrade. I know there are kits for the newer style flatheads to run automatics and even s-10 5 speeds but i havnt seen anything for the early motors. Automatic or manual doesnt matter just as long as it can take the abuse of the big trucks weight

Heres a shot of the truck in question:
    [​IMG]

2. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

i found speedways bellhousing adapter but am not sure what manual trans would hold up to the abuse of the weight of this truck. Anyone have any experience with any heavy duty chevy manual transmissions?

3. banjorear

banjorear

I think Cornhuskers in NE makes a kit to mate up a C4/C6. I'd think either of those trans. would be able to do what you need.

BTW: Love the truck/tractor combo. Very cool. Got to love those Johnny Poppers.

4. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

thanks for the info i sent them an email to see what they could do for me. They have a T-5 kit but i am concerned if that trans would be strong enough

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You can adapt a '60s Toploader Ford trans...plenty strong.

6. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

were they 4 or 5 speeds? and what would it take to make it work

7. banjorear

banjorear

If it's not them, then somebody makes a C4/C6 adaption kit. The name Flat-o-matic comes to mind.

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

4-spds in muscle cars - used in NASCAR until spec-made trannys (based on toploader) came out in '80s. Also a 3+OD version available in the '80s using same basic case.

If you can find a '64 model, it should bolt right up to an 8BA-style bellhousing. Otherwise, there will be some adaptation required...

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There may be other more interesting options but this adapter (the 59A-350MT)
    http://www.wilcap.com/flathead.html#59A350
    Should adapt an early/mid 70's Chev pickup compound four speed to the engine.
    That trans is usually not too expensive and is easy to find. They aslo shift smoothly if they are in good shape
    Another option might be one of the newer 5 speed overdrive transmissions that might help road cruising speeds a bit.

There may also be an adapter for a similar Ford transmission but I never know what fits what when it comes to Fords.

I wouldn't put a car trans or an automatic in that truck because I don't think it will do what you want it to do.

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Well if you ever use the first gear in that old T-9 four speed you will probably want to stick with a truck 4 speed. A T-98 from a mid 50s Ford truck might go in easy with not too much adaption,and it has snycros on 2-3-4. With a stock engine a T-5 would be strong enough I would think. You would want one with the lowest 1 st gear though,and the OD would be nice under very farvorable conditions. The old non-snycro boxes aren't to hard to drive once you master double clutching.

11. awelker

awelker

If you don't need the overdrive, 51-52 F-4 thru F-6 had an optional synchronized 4 speed that should drop right in place.

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

A 70's jeep top shift top cover almost bolts on top too, only modification is grinding a notch in the case to fit one of the forks when installing it

14. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

thanks for all the info. we have decided to keep i t a stick and a five speed would be nice to get the rpms down. I found an old f-6 in a yard near me that has a 2 speed rear that we are going to take and hopefully find the parts to rebuild the vacuum manifold so that it will work. If we can get it to work i guess a 4 speed wouold be fine.
    ebbspeed- Im glad to see that there is a 2wd version of the nv4500. I knew that the 4500s were plenty strong but didnt know they made a 2wd drive version.

the motor is far from stock it is bored and stroked with aluminum heads and a pretty stout cam. The motor was built by wallace engine company in essex md and was originally a race car block form the 50s. He freshened everything up and put it all together for us. It runs great now that i have the right fuel pump and jetting in the carbs. The motor still tends to get a little hot (has reached 230 from time to time) but does come back down and huvers around 210 on the right head and 195 on the left. Im hoping once we gear it down some it will cool it down a little. Im also gonna try some water wetter and see what that does

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yes they do! I'm probably going to do one of these in the future (with a QC rear, so I can get the RPM down for longer trips). I've got all the Jeep parts needed...

Check both ratios - even "high" on a 2spd rear is often not what car guys would consider "high"...

Obvious stuff, but I'll mention it anyway:
    1 - Timing. Retarded timing, even the little bit from worn points, will add to your overheating. Most run 4-6* initial advance with 22-26* all in <2000rpm.
    2 - Radiator. Can't tell you how many times I've seen folks complain about running hot and their rads are older & patially clogged.
    3 - New Engine. A tight engine will run warmer until broken in.

Other stuff:
    I'm a big fan of straight water, a wetting agent, and a corrosion inhibitor. Unless, of course, it's going to freeze where you're at, then I look on the back of the anti-freeze jug and mix in just enough to keep me safe for expected temps.

16. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

The distributor is an msd but i cant remember where the timing is at. I guess i need to put a timing mark on the motor as im pretty sure there isnt one on there or at least there wasnt one on the old motor.

The radiator was rebuilt and then cleaned after the old motor let go it also has an extra core added to it.

I am going to need some anti freeze but i think i will cut it back to the minimum and run the water wetter.

I understand that the 2 speed is not a miracle worker but this truck had the original rear taken out when the previous owner used it in the field and put a real low range rear in it.

17. 73RR

73RR

Thats a fine looking truck and tractor !!

...another vote for the NV3500...

18. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

i did some research on the nv3500 and that is what came in the s 10 and also came in the 1500 chevy trucks from 88 and up. Some of them came with the integrated bell housing and im assuming i need one without the bell housing.

19. Lightning 55

Lightning 55

I am putting an NV3500 (sometimes called a Getrag 3500) in my '54 Chevy pickup. IMHO, its a fantastic tranny, the shifter location is really good, and you can buy a Hurst Competition Plus shifter for it which allows for a bolt-on stick (endless choices for sticks). The full size 1500 truck tranny is the same size / shape as a Turbo 400 and has an integral bell housing. The S-10 unit is a bit longer, more like a long tailshaft Turbo 350. Also integral bell housing. The rated forque on these trannies is 350 ft lbs for the NV3500 and 450 for the NV4500. They are pretty stout.

The only thing that is a pain in the butt is that there is no provision for a manual speedo cable. If I remember right, the aftermarket NV4500 has a speedo hook up. I am using digital gauges for mine so its not a crisis, but would have been a deal breaker if I was using the stock mechanical speedo.

Good luck with your project. Great stuff!