Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Early Custom.... what is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redo32, Mar 17, 2018.

1. redo32

redo32

This popped up on the vintage photo thread with a couple of opinions of what it is. It looks like a George Duvall, Frank Kurtis creation to me. What do you think?

Skärmavbild 2018-03-15 kl. 10.43.28.png

2. for some reason Brewster popped into my head

scotts52 likes this.
  3. Me too

scotts52 likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Brewster II.jpg brewster.jpg It is similar to a Brewster grill, but all of them I have seen (in photos) have a more pronounced 'heart' shape at the top of the shell.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Stogy likes this.

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

It's obviously valuable, look at the armed guard. It does have the Brewster look about it.

6. them were the days....a kid on the street with a toy gun, i hope it is a toy gun

biggeorge and Stogy like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Is't that a '33 grille surround with the center and herringbone bars added ? The fenders look 33/34 as well.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In this write up its refered to as a 33 Plymouth Roadster with additional pics...
    looking briefly at 33 plymouths I'm not so sure but the other pics are cool

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=150708

Hnstray likes this.
  9. redo32

redo32

That's what I thought. It mimics what George & Frank did on several projects they did for SoCal Plating. Rik Hoving had this photo on his site also, but no additional info other than the picture was taken in San Francisco in the '40's. The rear fender looks like it might have had the running boards removed.

Stogy likes this.
  10. redo32

redo32

11. redo32

redo32

All the Mopars in this era had suicide doors. It has some features of a 33 Chev, but the best clue is the roadster parked in front. It has the same quarter panel shapes and appears stock. Back to google images.

Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were numerous shop trucks So Cal and Atlas all with subtle distinctive mods but the grill work below and other body mods bear striking resemblances to the car pictured above. So much so that I am going to make a claim that Frank Kurtis did the work to that Roadster. It is interesting how such an finely crafted car can be so lost as in where it came from but it happens. Perhaps others may know more but time moves on and we don't...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-history/history-of-the-early-custom-car/

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/is-this-an-early-so-cal-plating-shop-truck.244762/

[​IMG]

http://justacarguy.blogspot.ca/2015/02/the-southern-california-plating-company.html

Squablow, catdad49, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While the roadster being discussed may not be a Brewster the front fenders were either inspired by or played a part in those on the roadster...Mr Kurtis and his team were quite adept at either I am sure.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Careful, that guard could put an eye out with that thing... Nowadays child labor laws won't allow for this type of security...

Muhahaha

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. God............that So Cal Plating delivery is nice........how could such a vehicle just disappear in the early 40's...........every time I see a pic of this vehicle I'm in awe of the way the side curvature of the roof and the Duvall windscreen work in harmony........ elegant & simple yet beautiful work, not a straight line anywhere..................andyd

16. scotts52

scotts52

I believe the headlights are Ruxton.

17. BJR

BJR

No the head lights are Woodlites.

egads and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. You both could be right.........Ruxtons used Woodlight headlights.......andyd

egads likes this.