Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Chevy or Non-Ford Brake and Suspension Options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Scott Mannion, May 25, 2016.

1. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

I had a quick scan and could not see any previous posts on this so here goes. I have posted before regarding what I'd like to build in the future (we're currently saving to build a house, business and workshop/studio) and my thoughts turned towards 'practical' family traditional hot rods (sedans/woodies). I am now also opening up options and looking at the non-Fords, particularly Chevrolets. Not just from a financial view point but also in the interest of building something different. I have seen a couple of early Chevys for sale on the HAMB (one's a woodie!), but my concerns are about dropping axles (to get the 'look'), and uprating brakes (to keep the 'look' undamaged). Engine wise, I'm not so worried, but any info on tuning early 6 cylinder Chevrolet's or other odd engines would also be interesting as would wheel and hub interchangeability.
    So, there it is. What works and what doesn't on early (1930's) Chevys? I am guessing there'll be a lot of 'buy a Ford/Ford axle/Ford brakes' responses but I am keen to try and keep things in the same family if possible. Has anyone successfully built a traditional (no disc brakes, coil overs or independent suspension) early Chevy? (Photos would be good too).
    Oh, and thanks for your patience with yet another beginner's question. (I promise when I eventually do get around to building something, I'll post a full building thread!):)

2. Get a GM, move your axle to the top of the springs you just dropped it a ton. Buy a wood shop and manufacture wood for the frame, they had a t lot of wood in them.

Brakes, adapt later Chevy spindles to the axle or later Chevy brakes, Chevys from the '50s had fine brakes as drum brakes go.

If you feel the need to stay with an inline motor search 235s or inline Chevy on this site you will get information 'til hell won't have it. Dump the early motor and look for something say around '54 or newer ( I think '54 is the year I am thinking about) they had a full pressure oiling system and insert bearings. You don not want a babbit and dipper motor. I am looking at this from a mechanic's standpoint and not a restorer's standpoint.

Have fun.

Scott Mannion likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

A couple nice 31s here

http://www.roddersjournal.com/issue-65/

I just saw them both yesterday. They have Chevy running gear (with Packard transmissions), the roadster has a GMC 302. Low buck, high quality cars.

4. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

There were quite a few more Chevys built back in the day than they get credit for.
    For "the look" just do a search for "three springers".

As for the the cars themselves, remember that 1936 and earlier Chevrolets are primarily wood structure in the bodies. 1937 Was the first year of all steel across the GM line.

As far as front suspension, the Chevy strait axles can all be dropped (Nostalgia Sid's will drop original axles) and later spindles can be adapted so you can use the later brakes. I would avoid any of Chevrolet's early '30s Proto-Independent "Knee Action" Front Suspension setups like the plague. They are complicated, almost impossible to rebuild, and flarking ugly.

The inline engines are fairly reliable, but the 216s have babbit bearings and don't have pressure oiling. The passenger car 235s didn't get pressure oiling until the power glide came out, but some trucks had pressure oiling as early as 1941 IIRC.

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

6. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for the information - all good as usual.
    I did wonder if you could mount the axle above the cart springs, so that's good news. I can also work with wood pretty well, and we live in an area full of boat builders so that's another score.
    Your comment about the engines was very useful as whatever I build, I'll be fixing so high fun/low maintenance is definitely a priority. I really love Ford Flatheads, but the idea of a nice smooth straight six has a certain appeal.

7. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

8. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for the response. All great info (between you and Pork'N'Beaner you've got the tech stuff nailed!). I have seen a couple of cars with early Chevy independent front suspension and, whilst I appreciate the historical 'correctness' of the engineering, I totally agree with you that they are ugly and so I wont be going there!

9. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for that. I have been thinking about subscribing to TRJ for a while so now I have an excuse to buy at least one issue! Lo-buck and high quality works for me (I'm Scottish!). I am curious about the Roadster's engine and the Packard transmission. I think I have an Issue of magneto magazine that has a Model A with a GM 6 cylinder in it. I'll check that out too.

10. mlagusis

mlagusis

Get issue #65 of the Rodders Journal. There are 1930 Chevys and you can see the list of parts the guy used for the front end. I have a 29 Chevy two door sedan that I plan to use the same front end as the guy did in his roadster in issue 65. He had used a dropped 1954 (ish) truck front beam and brakes using the stock 30 front springs. You can get those front ends for almost nothing all day long.

Here is a link to the back issue if you want to order it.
    http://www.roddersjournal.com/shop/issue-65/

11. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks Matt

12. back in the late fifties my dad put '42 truck spindles on this '33 axle to get juice brakes. at that time lots of king pins and bushings were around and it was easy to find the right bushings to do this swop. i believe the '37 on up axles interchange easier with the later spindles/brakes.
    i swopped out the 42 huck brakes to a 51 car backing plates. DSCF2541.jpg DSCF2540.JPG