Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Early 50s--Source for interior door panel stainless elongated "Z"-style trim insert?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beerczar1976, Sep 25, 2014.

1. beerczar1976

beerczar1976

Will be working on re-covering door panels over the winter for my '50 Buick Special sedan. I'm probably going to stick to original styling/material selection. Mine appears to be a combination of black vinyl and white/cream colored cloth. HOWEVER, prior owner(s) managed to either lose, break, or throw away one of the long flattened "S" door chrome inserts. It's maybe about 1/4" thick and is quite close to 29-1/2" long. If memory serves it's for one of the front doors. It appears that the trim had almost like wires or nails that protrude thru the door panel and are then bent over on the backside of the panel to hold in place.

Has anyone seen any place that sells this type of trim material? While doing a search, the only thing that came close to it was a 3M "chrome" bead tape that comes on a 30' roll.

Has anyone decided to scrap their original door panels that didn't re-use the stock trim willing to part with theirs if they still have it?

I'm thinking I could probably have the entire panel reproduced by an upholstery shop, but I'd like to do the panels myself, 1. to say I did it, and 2, to save $$! Found all kinds of backer boards, padding, fabric, etc., just can't find the tack mounted stainless stripping.

Thanks.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. any pics of what they look like ?

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but for my roadster. One of the ideas I had was to getsome stainless steel tubing about 1/4" diameter from the hardware store. The trim could be attached tack welding some small machine screws to the back side

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Damn hit send by accident! Holes could then be drilled through the panel any the Tim could be secured with nuts. You'd have to figure a way to finish the open ends of the tubing but I don't think it would be too difficult b

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!