Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early 50's G.M Coil Spring Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible Tom, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Getting ready to remove the front springs on my 52 Olds to cut off a coil. This lever-shock front suspension is unfamiliar to me. I 'm thinking the usual floor jack under the lower a-arm after putting the car on jackstands, then removing the upper trunnion bolt. Is that a two piece bolt? Slowly lower the floor jack to release the spring? Yeah, I know, carefully. Do I need to unbolt the stabilizer bar too? (probably) I know a lot of you guys have done this. Any tips?
    Thanks, Tom

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Is Chevy done the same as Oldsmobile? Doesn't look the same, as Chevy has tubular shocks and I have the lever action which is part of the upper control arm.
    Tom

4. squirrel

squirrel

oops sorry, I completely missed that you said Olds!

Should be similar to the earlier Chevys, 39-48 models.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1942_47/index.htm

Although it would probably be a good idea for you to find an old used shop manual for your car, they probably are available on ebay.

5. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Thanks Squirrel. That does appear similar. Seems like they suggest a funky way of doing it by supporting the lower a-frame and then raising the car with a chain hoist. (unavailable) I bet I can raise the car up and support it and then lower the jack for the same effect.
    Thanks, Tom

6. 24riverview

24riverview

I would do it like you suggested in your first post except remove the lower trunnion bolt instead. The upper controls all the alignment settings and even though it should be aligned afterward at least you won't lose your original settings. I'm sure the service manual shows removing the inner pivot on the lower A frame because that would make it easier to get the spring in the pockets but I'm sure you'll be fine the other way, sounds like maybe you've done it that way already with regular ball joint suspension.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  7. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Thanks for the info. Yes, that's the way I've done it with regular ball joints. Hopefully, I can find someone who knows how to line the thing up afterwards. Bet not many have worked on something like that before.
    Tom

8. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Taking the lower trunion out is how I did my '50 Olds but I used internal coil spring compressors since I was down to bare frame and didn't have any weight to keep the spring under control. Right know the alignment is by "eyeball" with too much caster on one side.

9. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Bobert, how many coils did you cut out? Lowering blocks in the rear?
    Tom

10. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Didn't cut coils but replaced all the moving suspension parts and put in Fatman 2-1/2" dropped spindles. The rear on 49-50 is coil spring and used 3" dropped springs there. That's 3" from new stock and it needs to go lower by an inch or so.