Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Earliest Willys Racecars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by elgringo71, Jul 2, 2016.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

2. 0ldracer

0ldracer

The #445 version was from 1963. Al Tschida made it all the way to the C/Gas Class Final Round. Finished as runner-up to the Filthy Forty of Charlie Hill (Pork Zartman driver).
    Pork1963INDY.jpg

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

Oldracer, thanks for filling in the dates on the Al Tschida Willys.

4. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Hey, anyone know the date on the Pomona winners circle ....D/G ?

5. delray57

delray57

image.jpeg
    Here is another picture of Al's 531. I took this photo at Minnesota Dragway in 1964

6. elgringo71

elgringo71

Nice picture delray57 do you remember ant racing stories of the the Al Tschida Willys or any other Willys racecars during those days

7. Although he didn't race it very long, I'm partial to this Al Tschida WILLYS Coupe. He called the color Candy Apricot. 1933 WILLYS Coupe Al Tschida #1.jpg
    Of course I'm a little biased.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    AHotRod, elgringo71 and Dean Lowe like this.
  8. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

I heard al didn't like the '33 much.....love to see some photos of it in action

9. delray57

delray57

I recall one story about Al. We were young inexperienced drag racers who had put together a 55 Chevy gasser ( shown in my avatar). We did not know we needed a crash helmet after pulling the car 150 miles to race at Minnesota Dragway. My buddy somehow related our plight to Al. Al offered his helmet to us and we used it. He said he didn't need it because with the tinted windows and with the far back position of the seat the track people couldn't tell if he had a helmet or not.

mad mikey, loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  10. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

So.....I don't wanna be devils advocate....but 445 car pic has a 64 1/2 mustang in the corner... I'm guessing al didn't get assigned 531 til fall '64..... Researching to restore 531 coupe....trying to find out when he ran 331#

loudbang likes this.
  11. delray57

delray57

My photo of the 531 car at MN Dragways has a September 1964 date on it which would have been when the film was developed. I'm thinking that the race was late summer of 64. Tell us more about the restoration of #531. I always loved watching Al going through the gears.

loudbang likes this.
  12. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Still in what we call the research & development stage on Al's Indy winning coupe. My uncle Moonie bought the car in the 70's, got it going and drove it on the street. The coupe was red by now, and all the cops were gunning to pull over moonie in that 'lil red coupe since he had been seen terrorizing the streets...so instead of getting her impounded, moonie went home and disassembled her. Moonie sanded her down to the 58 Burma green and had Al verify that it was his old coupe. Al was so cool, moonie offered the coupe to Al for what he had in her, being moonie had a bone stock '38 he had planned on making into a gasser like Al's legendary coupe. But Al said he wasn't into drag racing and declined, but gave moonie a pile of old b/w photos of the car. the coupe is still on the back burner, moonie is building the bone stocker into a gasser now, and coming along nicely.

mad mikey, loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Anyone else find this funny? :)

Look forward to updates on Tschida's old gasser.

studebaker eric and loudbang like this.
  14. delray57

delray57

Doctor Satan, Thanks for the information on the restoration of Al's car. Keep us posted. I think it's miraculous that both of his coupes have survived after all of these years. I am sure you know that his second coupe was shown in apparently very good unrestored condition at Bowling Green a few weeks ago. I had heard that the first car was in Minnesota. Is that where your uncle is located? image.jpeg

15. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Yes, the second coupe is johnnie Z's...he is in Minnesota also.....man he can chop cars, good friend of mine

mad mikey and delray57 like this.
  16. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Any more photos of Tschida's cars.....?.....ive only seen the one of the '33, Al campaigned a '55 post, and I think a hardtop '55 as well....

17. elgringo71

elgringo71

Can you post any pictures of Al Tschida's Willys coupe owned by your Uncle Moonie as it is now or maybe over the years since he has owned it?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  18. elgringo71

elgringo71

Here is another one to keep things moving. I thinks that this one was sponsored by Howard Johansen of Howards cams during the cam grinder wars. It might have been as an answer to the Isky 5 cycle cam. Does anyone know who owned this one? It looks like it might have been Doug Cook

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0503-1941-stone-woods-cook-willys/

image.jpeg

I did a little digging around and found out that it did belong to Doug Cook. This was before he started driving for Stone and Woods

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Rathbone, AHotRod, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. delray57

delray57

Here is another photo of #531. You may have seen it as it came from another thread here on HAMB. The captions are screwed up but you get the idea. image.jpeg

20. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Very cool......

loudbang likes this.
  21. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

sorry elgringo....I don't have luck with posting photos...I have a few of the coupe in red on my phone....but can't get 'em on

22. Larry T

Larry T

23. elgringo71

elgringo71

I am posting these pictures for Doctor Satan.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Rathbone, AHotRod, 41 coupe and 2 others like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

A couple from swi66 today in the vintage shots thread.

No info on them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1947knuck and 41 coupe like this.
  25. [​IMG][
    This is Barb Hamilton with "Old blue" she still has the car and had it at the Meltdown Drags a couple weeks back on display at the Gasser Wars Magazine Booth on Sat.

AHotRod, elgringo71 and Larry T like this.
  26. [​IMG]
    KewiKev has a door off this car hanging in his garage I believe. He prob knows all about it.

elgringo71 likes this.
  27. delray57

delray57

I don't believe this car was Al Tschida's. Recall an earlier thread which stated that this car had an early demise and included a photo of the remains stuffed into a pickup bed. The paint treatment and color are however, close to the Triad/Antelope Speed Shop car.

28. elgringo71

elgringo71

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Rathbone and AHotRod like this.
  29. elgringo71

elgringo71

30. elgringo71

elgringo71

This was Al Tschida's brother in law's car and Al had a lot to do with building it. This was the same car as the Antilope Valley car image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Rathbone likes this.