Register now to get rid of these ads!

Earl Scheib out of business???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hans' Rod & Cycle, Jul 20, 2010.

1. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------------------------------

About 90 per-cent of a "good paint job" is body prep, prior to
    painting. Body prep is time consuming and "Earl" made ha money
    on volume ie - by getting cars in and out as fast as possible. If
    you prepped the car yourself and took your time and did a good
    job of itm before taking a car in, you stood good chance of getting
    an at leas half decent and presentable paint job. For those who
    complain about one of Earl Shcheib;s infamous "$29.85 paint jobs"
    - remember, you get - and you probably got - what you paid for!
    LOL :)

Mart3406
    ===================================================

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

just remember to remove bricks out of your truck bed first. unless you want a painted brick :D

3. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Earl didn't charge extra for painting over emblems:D

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

[​IMG]

I'm Earle Schieb I'll **** up any car, just 89.95!!

do you supposes he was embalmed, or did they just spray a few quick coats of clear on him? I will miss the jokes, they are much a part of car culture as Ron Popeill and the Veg-omatic were to infomercials. I don't know how he stayed in business, the product was normally terrible, everyone knew it, yet kept going to him. I'm sure he was popular with used car dealers, I remember as a kid, my mom buying a used Citation, yea, the one with the sideways radio, dealer bragged how it was freshly painted at Earl Scheibs, two weeks later the paint was peeling right off of the car, It looked like they had painted over a waxed finish.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  5. LOL! I always figured that he was cremated in one of his "Infra-Red Paint Baking Ovens"! ;)

6. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

QUOTE=

lostforawhile [​IMG]
    "Do you supposes he was embalmed, or did they
    just spray a few quick coats of clear on him?"

Followed by 'ClayMart' who wrote :

"LOL! I always figured that he was cremated in
    one
    of his "Infra-Red Paint Baking Ovens"! ;)"

[/QUOTE]
    ----------------------------
    Hmmm?? Either way, a 'clear-coat' embalming or
    cremation in an infra-red drying oven doesn't
    "paint" a very pretty picture:eek::eek: LOL!

Or maybe his estate went on to start a whole new
    chain of franchises called "Earl Schwieb Discount
    Funerals
    " with the slogan - "No service over $29.95
    - and your choice of free 'clear coat embalming' *or*
    'infa-red cremation, at no extra charge!"
    . I hate
    to think what the "10 dollars worth of free "'body
    work'
    " would get you though!:eek::eek::D:D Double-LOL!

Nart3406
    =============================================

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

a half of a suit? had to tip the mortician for the entire thing. :rolleyes: everyone knows earl didn't die anyway, he spent too much time in the sun..........and just faded away!:D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. Crestliner

Crestliner

That was my first thought. Now we have the only Earl Scheib shop.

9. ml68nova

ml68nova

Back in 87, I was 16 and my first car was a 73 chevelle. I took my car to ES for a price to have the tail panel fixed and painted. Came out to be $550!!!! As a 16 year old kid that was like a million dollars! I only paid $200 for the car.

I did it my self with some OLD bondo found in my uncles basement. After doing my perfect super cool bondo job. I found out later that bondo needs hardner. It took a month before your nail didn`t sink in it. I never did get it painted. Discovered I like the look of primer spots.

Mark

10. krooser

krooser

I have TWO Veg-o-matics I acquired when my mother-in-law moved out of her house (and into MINE!!!).... pix on request! (of my VOM not my MIL)

11. pa1nter2

pa1nter2

I remember buying a 66 mustang in California about 12 years ago, took it to scheibs for paint, drove it up to the Detroit border, the customs man came out to the car, looked at it, and remarked "not a bad car, looks like all it needs is paint". I knew right
    then i had a serious resale problem. LOL
    Pa1nter2

12. There are still commercials on here in Chicago as of last night. $129.95 special to paint a bumper.

13. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

That was my first job after Wyo Tech (It was the only body shop in town that would hire me because of where I went to school!) Horrible place to work but they paid well. I want to say it was like 15.00 an hour in around 2001 (They were union). Kind of sad to see them go in a nostalgic sort of way.

14. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

In the 80's I did alot paint work and I would use my steam cleaner with the heat cranked up to stip the earls paint off, it would blow off in large sheets. I could get the whole paint job off, I remember a couple of the cars looked better stripped...

15. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Earl Scheib out of business? R I I I I G H T ! Isn't that one of his favorite words on the commercials?

Had a car painted back in 71. Not bad, but certainly not good. Pretty average, and I did the prep work myself. But for 29 bucks wasn't a big gamble.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Earl isn't dead, he's in a paint drum next to Hoffa!!:D R........I.........G.......H......T!!!!

17. Edward E Scheib

Edward E Scheib

My uncle Al had the 34. Bitchen car. 454 bbc

guthriesmith and bowie like this.
  18. Freddy Fender

Freddy Fender

That's pretty cool.

I had five or more cars painted by Earl franchises in the 90s and they all turned out nice. You had to get the top paint job and pay for any needed extra work, and of course had to spend a little time cleaning up overspray, but it was well worth it. Think I was paying around $400-$500 and was always happy with the results.

19. They FOUND Hoffa under Tammy Fay Bakers makeup!

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

I had my ‘60 Pontiac Catalina painted at Earl Scheib in Culver City around 1967-68. I got the top of the line Diamond Gloss Marine Blue Metallic and they did a little body work. I think it was $79.95 + bodywork, the total was just over $100. It looked great. I had blue and white simulated tuck n roll seat covers installed at Rayco and it was done. My friends were jealous, my car was painted. Great car for backseat adventures.

rod1 likes this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had similar results with Valspar and a broom

22. indyjps

indyjps

One time, silver blue metallic "upgraded paint", turned to chalk about a year later, didnt matter how much wax I put on, buffing would slick it up for a week then back to chalk.

23. I remember back in the 1950's you could always tell an Earl Scheib paint job as all the colors were just a little off of what they were meant to be. I remember high school classmate John Brunner's shoebox Ford painted green. You could identify his car from a block away.

bobss396 likes this.
  24. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

11 year old news is new again!

25. They had a set number of standard colors. I had a customer with that green on it... a '63 Rambler. I think they had 6 or 7 colors including black and white. I had a buddy from work, I followed him down to get his OT Nova done in an upgrade color, we went back in 3 days to pick it up. Looked very nice.

bchctybob likes this.
  26. I opened this thread thinking we were talking about @earl schieb....which I have had the pleasure of talking to a bit lately about a paint job he did several years ago. I was mistaken, but am amused that we pulled up an 11 year old thread and jumped in like it just started yesterday. :D

Oh, and pretty sure Mike isn’t out of business and is still doing great work.

BBA62A54-06BD-432C-BAE9-870A62F92A2A.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  27. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

And don't forget the additional selling point he used to make..."Every job comes with a baked-on finish." I remember
    seeing the tunnel with all of the heat lamps in it that the car would pass through. My brother got his '53 Chevy
    painted there and they put a little too much paint on the hood, so when it came out of the "oven", it wrinkled
    the hood paint up like a 80yr old lady.

bobss396 and fauj like this.
  28. bchctybob

bchctybob

Why not? Old Earl’s shops were a part of the old car scene for years and his commercials were all over the TV. He was a legend, he deserves to be remembered from time to time.

Budget36 and jimmy six like this.
  29. 5window

5window

There are some pretty hot 80 year old ladies out there!

Bob Lowry likes this.
  30. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

The only paint guys I ever seen that sprayed your wheels (and tires too then used tire paint to black them again) even when given specific orders to not paint the wheels because of that... It was a Sunbeam Alpine I fixed up for resale and bit the bullet but never took another car to them.