Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dynamic mixing system

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turnaround, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround

Anybody try the fairly new 3M dynamic mixing system for mixing body filler. It reads well and the videos show silky smooth plastic filler spreading on. Pretty expensive but when you figure the cost of thrown away filler that has hardened before you could get it spread, it might not be that expensive over the long term.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't want to be in a position where I had to use that much filler anymore.

That sounds like something for a wam bam get them out the door production body shop like some of these places around here that rebuild totals a dozen at a time. I can't see too many rodders wanting to use it in their personal shops.

3. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Save the money and learn how to mix in the right proportion to do the the job at hand...

Not trying to be a smart ass.... But it's not that hard to do and you'll be better off for it in the long run.

Always remember... 3M stands for 3 times the money;):) good products, but awful spendy.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had to go google it and watch the video.

looks like it is made for production mud shops. get 'em in, mud them up and get them out.

if it were free and the bondo in the tube you need to use was the same price as a bucket of mud I could see using something like that. I can't see using that method to cover a larger area.

as for saving waste... 99% of my bondo waste is what gets sanded off. the waste while applying is minimal.

my buddy had a thing where you put the can upside down in this deal bolted to the wall, then you squirt the mud out the bottom and mix it up. this would eliminate most of the hassle of mixing, which to me is digging it out of the can with a stick or something and plopping it on your mixing surface. I think I'd rather have one of those.

5. I have tons of experience with it. The fiberglass reinforced filler is awesome. If you have ever mixed any fiber reinforced product you know how hard it is to mix, apply , and sand. This does all of them extremely well. The Filler is 3M's Platinum Plus ( also available in Gallons go to 3Mcollision.com to get a free sample! ) The product sands great and is very easy to spread. I hate to say this but I have seen Ridler Cars being worked on and the use of Filler is very " generous" used properly there is nothing wrong with it. One of the biggest issues I see are folks putting body filler over welds! thats a recipe for failure and what Fiberglass reinforced filler is for. It's one of those products that has allowed hacks to become better hacks, but when used correctly shouldn't be an issue.

PM me with any specific questions