Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dust Cap size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nexxussian, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nexxussian

nexxussian

I'm missing a wheel dust cap for our salt flat racer.

It has multipiece spindle mount aluminum wheels, look like early Centerlines but no brand markings I can find.

[​IMG]

Best picture I have.

Naturally I let the car get away with the remaining dust cap installed. :eek:

So I'm trying to figure out what size dust cap it takes.

I had one that was 1 13/16" (1980 Toyota Cellica) that is just too big (barely) to drive in the hole (if it was an iron hub I'd try it, but being aluminum I hesitate to wail on it too hard).

We thought we had it figured out, so we ordered a set of dust caps from Kip motors for a "Popular" (lower trim version of an Anglia, same spindles that are on this) they were 1 5/8", too small. :(

So, the question is, what dust cap is available that is between 1 13/16" and 1 5/8" (closer to the 1 13/16) where it goes into the hub?

I've tried online, and tried the local parts stores (NAPA, Oreilys, along with several others) to no avail, I even asked if there was something between there in metric, only to be told that there is only one size dust cap made in metric (so all the imports that use non sealed bearings on the non driven wheels all use the same size?, I don't buy it either).

I would prefer something ready made, but if it comes to it, I'm not above turning down some pipe in my lathe and welding a cap on the end, if anyone knows what size it needs to be.

Any info helps, anyone got an old Dorman catalog?

2. squirrel

squirrel

616-501 is 1-25/32 which is as close to just under 1-13/16 as you'll get?

fits dodges and fords from mid 60s up, as well as hondas and datsuns and ramblers.

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

Thanks, I'll check it out.