Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Dust Bowl Special"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bugsy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well, I don't usually take many pictures of my junk or do build threads but I've had a few folks ask me about this roadster. It's really nothing fancy or creative, basically just a banger powered '27 T roadster or an A frame. I have a thing for pre-war "gow-jobs". I've been collecting, trading and scrouging parts for this for about 3 years. I really have next to no money in it. This car has been inspired by the young guys that even during the depression years, found a way, with very limited funds, tools and sometimes ability, to build cars of their own. Like with hobbys or passions today, I image that during that time, their projects and cars were a way for them to distract themselves from the harsh reality of those depression years. Like a lot of folks today, I'm basically in this position now too so I figued if they could do it then, it could be done now. I've had a lot of different cars and projects over the years, but I've got more enjoyment and personal satisfaction and a "healthy" distraction from my reality, from this pieced together, ugly little roadster. It's far from being where I'd like to see it at some point but this car finally took it's maiden voyage the other day. That 2 minute, blast down the alley, was the most rewarding thing I've done for a while. There's no major engineering, fabrication or mechanical feats here, nothing super difficult or impressive. BUT.....It's amazing just how much enjoyment a pile of beat up, 80 year old parts can bring.

I wanted to say thanks to Clayton (MrmodelT) and Jay (Nosurf) for keeping me encouraged and focused to stay at it to get it a least to this point!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

3. casper

casper

I really like it. Great job !!!

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

Good on ya Bugsy! :D

I'm just really happy to see the "Dust Bowl Spl" is up and running! That short little vid that you sent me of your triumphant run up the alley really made my day.

Just keep up the good work..and the progress photos coming ;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. chudm71

chudm71
    from Perryton

I am heading in the same direction Bugsy!! I hope your cheeks hurt from smiling ear to ear... Keep it up. I hope you post more photos.

6. Skids

Skids

The feeling of driving or riding something you built or created yourself, no matter what it is or what it looks like, is almost unmatched. Maybe that is why we all hang around here. Nice work.

7. bct

bct

well done .

8. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks fellas, I appreciate it. Getting positive feedback from like minded folks who have cars and projects that I admire means a lot.

Finally getting it to this point has been motivating in itself. It also shows that you can still enjoy old cars without a lot of money. I'm looking forward to progressing on it.

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn....I like it.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

breath of fresh air. not something made to look ratty or over restored piece of perfection.

11. Fantastic! I have a pile of parts to do the same next. How about some interior shots (pedal placement, etc.?)
    Oh, and post the video please! Great hotrod!

12. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks agin, fellas, I really do appreciate the comments. Well, it's not hard to 'underdo" a project when you don't have the funds to "overdo" it! I imagine that was the case in the '30's and 40's as well. Those cars, in my opinion, were perfect. I've read the Montgomery books and others like it for inspiration.

Cactus1...I'll get out and take some more pictures of it today, although there's not too much to look at yet! I still need to do a ton of things to it. There is basically no interior in it yet but I'm working on that. I have the engine dialed in pretty well in it's stock configuration so the next thing I'm going to do is put the single, down-draft intake on it, with a 94. Then fab up some type of header and exhaust. I have a real nice, Mallorey distributor too. As money allows, I'd like to put a high compression head on it and maybe lighten the flywheel some. Other than that, that's it for now. I've gone a long while without having a driving project so I just want to enjoy it and not get too crazy with having it tore down or adding a bunch to it.

It's nice to have a bit of motivation again.

13. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Here are a few more pics of it. Again, it's pretty basic. I had to heat the pedals and move them a bit and make up some body mounts but but really other than that, the body just drops right on to an A frame. I have a T, rear spring for it that I'm going to use to lower the rear a small amount and maybe reverse the front spring and take a leaf or two out. I'll add, knee action shocks and that will be it for the susspension. I'm mocking up the headlights now and am building a seat and floors. I will chop the windshield stanchions a few inches but want to retain the top frame and pivot and windshield but it will be cut about in half. I have my taillight/brakelight combo to mount. I will polish out the paint some after I attach the decklid (it's real rough at the moment). That'll be about it other than some little things here and there. I'd like to sew up a taneau cover for it eventually as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  14. That thing is awesome! Reminded me of my A roadster I threw together. Aside from the body, new tires and deuce shell I had very little into it. All the running gear came from my A coupe when I upgreaded it. It only took me 3 months to get it thrown together, but it was one of the most fun cars I ever had. "Git in, slam the door and GO!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  15. I diggit. Ive thought about doing somthing similar maybe sometime

16. cool car, I like your extinguisher riding shotgun too! haha smart...you never know what can happen on a maiden voyasge

17. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

That thing looks like a blast to rip around in!

18. Perfect, with a floor board!

19. Thanks for the extra pics! I've got my doors soaking in a molasses bath as we speak. I am excited to get started and between Clayton's redux, Mindover's project, and now this, the fire is deffinitely getting stoked!

How 'bout that vid, hmmm?? :)

20. rockbottom

rockbottom
    from PA

Definitely a sweet little ride you have there, keep up the good work

21. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

That looks like some real fun!

22. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks again for the comments, very appreciated.

Chris...your roadster was inspirational for sure. I've always Loved that one.

Cactus1...the video that I have of it is REALLY bad! I had to shoot it myself with the camera sitting on the seat of my Harley. You see me trotting like a giddy schoolgirl over to it and drive off. Then, a while later, I drive by again and then past the camera and into the garage. It's really cheesey! But...I've been promising Clayton for about 2 years that I would send him video proof of the first voyage so I figured I'd better get something that morning. I'll see if I can get someone to film it while I drive it and come up with something better. Honestly, I never really planned on posting even any pictures of this thing, let alone video. I'm glad that this helped to motivate you on your project! If it wasn't for the folks on here, I may have never got past the pile-o-parts stage with it.

23. ...neat lil roadster, I like your yellow dump truck also.

24. Carter

Carter

Looking good, man. Super cool.

25. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Bugsy,

Nice lookin' little roadster. When I get the Becker Special done I plan on building a touring simalar to yours I already know of an A motor and have a few T frames, Gotta build some thing for the Wife to drive. Congrats on the first ride!

26. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Chris,
    The "Becker Special" is one of my all-time, favorite builds. I love everything about that car from the story behind it to how it's shaping up. I'd love to see it in person sometime.
    I've really thought about a touring at some point as well. I've seen a few examples of pre-war style tourings that would be fun builds. My kiddos are still small enough yet that my family of three fits fine in the roadster...for now!!

Jason

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

That thing looks great! :D ...boy I remember the ol' "no floor boards" days....they were sketchy, but the most fun I ever had driving a car ;)

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Bugsy, that is so freakin' cool. It did remind me of Chris' roadster right away. Man, you've just lit a fire in me to get working. I gotta finish my house project first... but even that you've inspired me on because once I get that done, I can get out to the shop.

29. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Brent- Thanks!! I've always followed your T build too. You have done some great work with that, it's one of my favorites too. I love the color and would consider that if the Dust Bowl ever gets painted!

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Really cool little Roadster... I like the simplicity of matching the old Ford parts together for a cool pre-war Hot Rod. Would love to have one just like yours to bomb around in someday.

Malcolm