Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dumbest trades I never did

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Dec 17, 2018.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Probably doesn't quite fit the prototypical hot rod but painful non the less.
    Built and rode a hot 62 Harley Sportster many years ago. Married and had an infant at home but had no intention of unloading the bike.
    However, a single buddy really wanted the bike. He offered his 65 Corvette in trade. Only needed needed cosmetics and paint but a Corvette non the less.
    Thought long and hard on the deal but didn't have storage and my insurance agent just laughed when I asked for an insurance quote!
    Still kicking myself in the ass!

scotty t likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1966 a local guy had a 57 Chevy rag top that he wanted around 500 for running and driving and was willing to give me a decent trade on my then broke down 55 Nash Metropolitan rag top as he wanted it for a drag car body. Step father blew a gasket because he said the 57 had been hot rodded all over town and knocked me out of the deal. Step father could have driven it to work all the time I was gone without much of an issue.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

was in the Hot Rod mode, so when a guy wanted to trade his chopped '57 Ford 2 door wagon with flamed paint job for my mild Hot Rod '55 Chevy post I turned him down - should have done the deal

4. I had a nice looking 57 Bel Air 2 door post sedan 283, running, driving car. I traded it dead even for a 55 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop with no engine or transmission, radiator. I liked it better but before I could build it I had to move and let her go for 100 bucks.

5. I had a 1966 Bronco in high school, I put all new brakes on it and new 7.50-15 old type lugged mud tires. It ran and drove very nicely, just had NO power with its 170 “Special Six”. My “friend” at the time offered to trade me a clapped out 1972 F-100 with a 302 automatic. It ran like shit and the transmission didn’t work. Even after he “rebuilt” it, if still didn’t work. I ended up selling it for $200. My Dad was strictly against the trade, but I think he figured I would learn more by getting screwed than by listening to him. Just one more thing that Dad was right about. Funny how that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

farmer12, tfeverfred and Texas Webb like this.