Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumb question: How freely should a engine be turned by hand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zeke, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Zeke

Zeke

I pulled the plugs in the Stude a week ago and dumped in some Marvels Mystery Oil. Today I was cleaning up the front clip to ease it's removal at HAM GAS when I decided to give the crank pully a turn by hand.So I grabbed it with both hands and gave it a spin. It turned, almost seemed too easy. I could hear the timing gears working and some air flowing out the plug holes but no odd noises. Nothing felt wrong. So am I just luckly and have a mill that want's to live or is there something I should check jus to make sure I don't mess something up before I try to fire it tomorrow?

2. I had an old SBC that would turn over easily by hand,without the plugs in.Never a problem.

3. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

When a engine has been standing for decades, the piston rings are usually stuck, and some valves can be hanging to.

Id say get some gaskets checkout the pistons, at the same time you can take a look at the bearings to. And the valves are good to check for function to.

Regarding the question without sparkplugs it will turn over quit easy.

4. LUKESTER

LUKESTER

fire it up...... remember loose is fast....... LUKESTER

5. Bugman

Bugman

I heard that 40 to 50 FT/LBS is about the most you'd ever want on a fresh rebuild. I don't remember where I heard it, and I can't confirm it. I'd think it'd be much less with the plugs out though. Anybody have a good engine, a cheap torque wrench, and a few minutes time?

-Bugman Jeff