Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Duellym's nice truck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duellym, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Duellym

Duellym

here's my 47 ford jailbar I plan to turn into a gasser. It's got hidden rust here and there but overall it's in good shape.
    A picture:

[​IMG]

So I got the truck for free just because it's been stuffed in my little garage for the past 20 or 30 years. I haven't bought any parts for it yet just because I have basically all of them already.
    It has a 360 FE and a toploader 3 speed swapped into it, but that's been done very poorly and doesn't really fit.
    Here's the sad excuse for a tranny crossmember.

[​IMG]

Basically what is bad about it is its been hacked in half and bolted together with a different crossmember out of a different car.
    The motor crossmember is just bolted to the frame by the bottom of this box like thingy so basically the motor sits about 4 inches too high.

[​IMG]

That's the weird box. It can be seen from another angle in this next photo.

[​IMG]

It's at the bottom in the middle in top of the frame.
    All of this can be fixed though.

What is the real problem is the steering, what I asked about in my introduction thread. Someone on another forum mentioned something about using some sort of Chain drive deal, but the only thing I've ever seen chain steering on is a waterloo tractor, there's probably a reason for that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The oil pan is rather close to the front axle as well that I'm not worried about though.

[​IMG]

The pan is the big blue thing at the top and the axle and steering linkage is the big tubes and the I beam at the bottom. Also in that picture you can see the motor crossmember, that's the haggard pice of metal in the middle.

This bring us up to the rearend.
    Yay for me, I have a 9 inch rear

[​IMG]

The u bolts that hold it on are round when they should be flat, and are two large so they look like a one humped heart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now this is where I started working on it.
    I started by removing the primer off the fender and wishing I didn't.

[​IMG]

So kinda horrified by that u covered it up and got to work on other parts
    The running board was really beat up and had a patch boogered onto it so that came off. And it makes the truck look so different.
    [​IMG]

When I took the seat out I found the mice had made a home in it that looked like so

[​IMG]

Gross.
    So I took the gas tank out to see what sort of shape it was in.

[​IMG]

Looks like I won't be needing a beer keg after all.
    I took the fuel pump out and cleaned that all up

[​IMG]

And I proceed to check and research things, like the brakes. I don't have any. I will pro be converting it to disks, unless that means I must convert it to power brakes. I want to keep it as simple as possible. Right now I just want to make it work though.

I'm hopefully going to the swap meet out in Fitchburg so hopefully I can at least score a stock tranny crossmember.

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A gasser? Hmmm....... Sounds like a real challenge. Good luck with it.

uncleandy 65 and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nothing like a "keep it simple" challenge - have a good clear title? have room to take cab off to redo frame "booger welding", etc? so, why keep the motor & trans?you might think that will keep costs down but, it won't. instead of a gasser, why not go for a reliable driver? have a good size budget?

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Did they keep half of the old crossmember so they wouldn't have to move the master cylinder or something?

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

UUUUHH DUDE!...jailbar ford and gasser?.....why?

6. on the rear axle, you need to turn the U bolts over and put the round part under the axle and use a flat plate with holes on top of the springs

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Jailbar gasser, sounds wrong in so many ways!!! I sensirly hope you mean push truck!!!!

Regarding FE and toploader, these are mighty material for any build. No reason to get rid of them. But motor mounts need redoing! The 9 inch is not a bad rear end, that trinity will make your truck drive very nice. It should be possible to do reasonable speeds, and be able to stop. I think there is good drum brakes available from a newer truck that should be easier to adapt to you parts then disc brakes, but Google is your friend!

And Why do you want a keg? I see no issues with thank except dirt, and a picture I can't see what it's a picture off?
    There is something about an early mustang tank will fit in the rear of the frame under the bed.

There is a nice thread on here about a guy doing a F4, there might be the info you need and also some motivation on how it could be made to look.

Regarding the manifold vs collum, it looks like is possible to fix that. There looks to be way more room then a Flathead in a Model A or Hemi in a 34.

EDIT:
    1948 Ford F4 build thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/1948-Ford-F4-build-thread.642173/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

One Google search, direct to photo and here is what I found; ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460483050.885755.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460483081.798254.jpg

If it doesn't fit try moving engine to the one side, that will make room, and the engine don't mind, as long as you pay attention to angles of carb flange/prop shaft, and you are better fabricator then the last guy "working" on the truck.

And regarding paint under primer, I can say for sure I've seen trucks with five layers of paint under primer, each time the truck went to a different firm, the scuffed it up and painted in the alley behind the truck shop. No biggie as long as it's not a show truck or a custom.

Just even it out with a sander, re prime and get cracking. The pleasure is in driving!!

9. Duellym

Duellym

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As for those of you who think I shouldn't turn it into a gasser I would like to know why. And really I'm not jacking up the front end to the moon just enough to get the rake out of it mabey. I'm mostly going to drive it on the streets.

To answer jalopy joker I am planning on someday building up another fe for it and I can just drop it in of this one was already there.
    And to answer barn find, that's the exact reason it's like that.

Another thing, I plan to make my own headers. The manifolds above do give me an idea though. Thanks.

10. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

As far as why not a "gasser", it's kinda like a guy turning a Camaro into a 4x4. If you think it's cool, great, and go for it. If you want to be accurate though, most guys of the era wouldn't use dads farm truck as a race car. If it was a willys truck, or maybe a model A, it would look more accurate.
    As far as what you are starting with, it looks like fairly simple repairs will take care of the ugly, and the price seems right.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. e z i

e z i

What the hell is a jailbar?

12. An establishment that sells alcohol to underage women.

hotrodjack33 and kiwijeff like this.
  13. e z i

e z i

Underage women? Oh...bubble tops....

wraymen likes this.
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Because a gasser I a specialty build race car with a nose high in the sky, set up for quarter mile runs going for the lowest ET. And even after you holes as everything that makes this to a good truck, it would look like a clown car. Please NO gasser.

A Jailbar is the humble work truck that takes you everywhere.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460516693.919805.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460516707.058896.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460516727.702127.jpg

You should rarther flip the rear axle, get the front axle dropped and go for some lowered springs in the front to make it level, paint it with a simple color (one tone with a accent color), put a shop logo on the door and enjoy the car till the end of days.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    BradinNC and Fedman like this.
  15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Try checking this page for dropped axles;
    http://www.droppedaxles.com/FORD_AXLES.html

He knows, the lover grey truck belongs to a HAMBer. Maybe belonged to a HAMBer, but he could be the one that can help and advise you.

16. Duellym

Duellym

Ok I get where you guys are going, quite honestly I was thinking the same thing about it. I just really like the gassers and that's what I have.
    But if I wanted to drop it couldn't I heat up the ends and re-bend them?

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If you mean the front I beam, yea that how it's done in theory, but it's a little more complicated

18. Duellym

Duellym

Does anyone know of a company that makes rear sump oil pan for an FE? I can't seem to find one.

19. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

. Weeeell it's not a gin joint for jailbait ( underage YOUNG ladies) ,just look at the grill bars...."jail bars"

das858 and volvobrynk like this.
  20. Duellym

Duellym

Ok so there really isn't much rust on the truck for it being 70 years old. With that said there is some rot, particularly the drives side front cab mount and pedal area. There isn't a floor in it because my grandfather cut it out to put I different motor in it. I'm debating if I should buy a used floor, a new one, or just make one. any of those ways I'm going to end up having to fab up a new cab mount. Right about now I'm leaning towards making a custom floor.

Here is the cab mount/pedal floor thing.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. rfraze

rfraze

22. Duellym

Duellym

That's a cool truck, I've never seen one like it before. Thanks

23. Old jailbar trucks are about as ugly as a mud fence but I love them! HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Duellym

Duellym

Lol its one of those either you love it or hate it styles I guess

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There is just something about them trucks, there are almost as simple as a willy MB, as dependable as an old dog and it's just the definition of humble vintage work truck.

I don't find them as pretty as a Chevy Art Deco, but I like them as much as my well worn but far from broken ol' Army Leather boots.
    They just fits on the foot. I think the '40s big truck is pretty, but there is just something about a them jailbars.

26. Duellym

Duellym

I went on the Internet and I found this

[​IMG]

That's basically what I would like to do with the truck, with different colors of course. The only thing I would really change is the bed I would like to do one like this more.

[​IMG]

Of course I would have a hood. I'm not short but without a hood I can't see the front end of the truck.

Thanks for looking, hopefully I'll have a real update next time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Peanut 1959 and kiwijeff like this.
  27. Im digging the gasser style looks like a whole lot of fun. Scaring grandmas then eating children and roars like a dragon muhahahaha

Sent from my LGMS330 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. kiwijeff likes this.
  29. kiwijeff likes this.
  30. [​IMG]
    Found these on internet think u have a good idea just sayin

Sent from my LGMS330 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.