Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dual range hydramatic rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Itsbiscuit, Mar 28, 2015.

1. F&J

F&J

You'll get it. Can't stop now.

barely a handful of people here would have the balls to home-rebuild the Rocket engine and the early Hydra trans, too

2. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432086202.627002.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432086220.662601.jpg

Wasn't as bad as I thought pullin her out.

3. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

Thanks f&j for the encouragement. Sure need it at this point.

4. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Being that you didn't say if you did a pressure test on the trans, I will assume you didn't. So I will assume the working pressures are not known at this time. It can be either a pressure problem or a band problem. Really the only thing in common with forward and reverse is the front band, the fluid coupling and front pump. I think that's where I would look first. I would check the band for proper adjustment first and then disassemble the front servo to check for problems. Maybe you broke a ring? You could also have an issue with the fluid coupling not filling due to a broken ring, but I don't think so with the amount of fluid you said it took. A pressure test would have helped to diagnose the problem.
    Good luck
    Bill

5. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

Did a pressure test. 0psi Needle never even tried to budge. Visually inspected bands from under the car. Just adjusted them prior to install. Disassembling now to inspect pump and keyway.

6. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

Ok good news ... Well ok news and bad news. Good news I didn't forget to put the keyway in. Bad news....still no idea why I have no pressure. It's a simple freakin vane pump!! Pulled pump apart everything seems fine. Hardly any visible wear on the vanes at all. Blew through all passages to front servo and rear pump. Fyi when you blow through rear pump and governer assembly you will get a 360• spray all over your walls and ceiling from governer end. Anyone got any other ideas?

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Have you checked out the pressure regulator valve?

8. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

Yes stuck it in the pump nothing seems to be sticking or binding.

9. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

All I have is the Oldsmobile shop manual and it does not go into detail in the pressure regulator. I found this other Pontiac diagram. It shows there to be two springs in the regulator. I only have the larger one and not the smaller dampener spring. I used every part I received in the auto Trans rebuild kit and did not have anything leftover. Could anyone confirm is this could be causing pressure problems? Looks like it only applies to the tv pressure side and not necessarily line pressure. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432333941.274627.jpg

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have 53 motors and it doesn't show a second spring but a later manual does but states later design for the valve. Also the relief valve (lower in the picture) could be stuck. You say no pressure Was there oil in the pump? if not is the seal in place for the supply tube?

11. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

Yes oil in pump and throughout system. Re installed pump and pressure regulator and hooked up a drill to spin it. Making good oil pressure. So either something is telling the pump to quit making pressure(what tells slide to move and either make more or less pressure...the relief valve or pressure regulator?). Been through everything listed in all books and everything seems fine. Only thing I can hope for was something was stuck and put it back together I guess.

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Looking over the diagram in a previous post, the pressure regulator controls mainline pressure from TV and by reverse booster too. I do not think this was the problem, as you have said it was put back together correctly. However when the relief valve is stuck open the mainline pressure will be very low. The relief valve is another means of controlling pressure. Think of it as the first line of pressure regulation. This sets the mainline pressure to a default value, while the pressure regulator either boosts this value when in reverse, or controls mainline pressure (above default value) via TV when in forward ranges.

As long as the relief valve is functioning, you should get pressure. My guess is that it was stuck open.

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

The pressure regulator valve controls the slide. When the slide is up max output slide in middle zero output slide down acts as relief valve for rear pump.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  14. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

Ok everyone. I know yall were worried. But she is up and running for the moment. After repulling the trans and going through everything again. It works. I used some old Trans fluid to put everything together and think it had some moisture in because I found several stuck valves with new surface rust. Shifts are good. The only thing. If I shift into reverse and then try to go into drive I have to rev it up and then it will clunk into drive. If I turn car off and go into drive straight from neutral she goes right into gear.

warbird1 likes this.
  15. F&J

F&J

Impressive eng/trans redo in the backyard. You stuck with it.

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Try doing the hydramatic recommended remedy. After starting car and warming up, put the transmission in reverse and rev the engine slightly. Now go to Lo (with brakes on of course), then back to R. Do this cycle 5 times. See if it improves the reverse to drive delay. These transmissions were notorious for reverse cone getting stuck. Many times my 54 Lincoln has had the reverse cone get stuck and has no forward drive. I do the remedy and it fixes it. It should be in the hydramatic manual.

BTW: Will be sending the UPS label for flywheel Monday.

17. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

Thanks! Did that and burnished the reverse cone as the manual describes. Seems to be working great now.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  18. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Excellent, now some paint and whatever else needs to be done and you are in great shape.
    Will get with UPS today and see about getting the shipping label.

20. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

I know I'm digging up an old, dead thread, but I'm curious...
    I've come into possession of two Pontiacs in the last year with Hydramatics: a '48 Streamliner and a '58 Star Chief. I haven't been able to test them out yet, but there's a good chance at least one rebuild is in my future.

So if a guy has successfully rebuilt a 4L60E before, would the Hydramatic be worse, better, or just different? Thanks.

21. IMHO, it would be easier than a late model auto. If you have some of the required tools and a good manual... that, and the fact that everything is a lot heavier ;)

pvfjr likes this.
  22. Check out the Hydro Tech group here on the H.A.M.B. Lots of good resources and info. You'll have to join the group to see everything posted. You can find a link to the left under my profile picture.

pvfjr and Max Gearhead like this.