Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical DUAL RANGE HYDRAMATIC PROBLEM - 1955 PONTIAC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skankin' Rat Fink, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Tried this in the Hydro Tech social group, with no results yet.

I've installed a 1955 Pontiac V8 & dual range Hydramatic in my car. installed in 54 Pontiac. The transmission is original to the engine. The fluid is fresh D/M, and when I bought it, I drained out clean red fluid.

Short Version: The car drives great with the shifter in Low. Reverse and Drive slip, and won't move anywhere. The engine revs up and the transmission just gives a real wimpy pull. The car can't move on my uneven driveway.

I towed this car on a tow dolly approximately 25 mph to get home from the driveshaft shop. That might have been stupid.

I've been reading the 1946-55 on-car adjustment manual. I think my best diagnosis is: Slips in Dr. normal start in Lo. Which leads me to: I1-I5-G1-M1
    I1
    - Valves sticking in governor or improper valve travel.
    I5 - Broken governor ring.
    G1 - Valves sticking in control valve assembly.
    M1 - Governor drive flange off position or rear pump mispositioning governor in parking brake bracket.

I also see that the front band should be engaged for first speed, and for reverse. Is this band slipping? What can I do to fix this at home, without band adjustment tools? If I take this to an expert, can I have it serviced, or would I be looking at a total overhaul?? Thank you, as always.

Attached Files:

2. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I should have dropped the pan sooner. I feel pretty dumb now.

The front band is BROKEN. Any opinions on replacement? The rest of this transmission looks rebuilt.

Attached Files:

3. Fatsco should have the parts you need.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

NOS/NORS, and rebuild bands, come up on that auction site we all know and love, all the time. If you can't do the job yourself, it's going to be costly, if you can even find someone willing to do it. Cross your fingers it did't score up the drum. It is clean inside! Good luck. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

In order to get that band out, you will need to literally empty the case! This means all hard parts will need to be removed, then you should be able to get to the band. The weird thing is that you say Lo range is OK. Lo range uses that same band if your transmission starts in 1st. But some of these start in 2nd when in Lo range, so that might be what is happening with yours.

6. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

My 54 hydramatic started in 2nd in Low range, unless you floored it. I do believe this 55 unit does the same.

Sent from my LG-H900 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Last one my trans shop did for me wholesale was $1000.00 parts and labor and I had to supply a couple hard parts out of spare. But you need to find someone that knows what they are doing. Lotsa little things can go wrong and you need to figure out why band broke.

8. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I'm trying to build a stick setup to replace the Hydramatic. I don't have any affection for this transmission, I'd rather not put the big money into it. Thanks everyone