Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual master in an AD? Who's done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarPilot, Dec 27, 2008.

1. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

And how? I mean other than buying a kit for it. What master did you use and did you fab up an adapter for it?
    Brothers has the master for $100 but they say you need to get the adapter ( https://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DMC5954 ) for another $100. Seems a little much.

2. oj

oj

Whats an AD? And are you talking about master cylinders? I use them a lot and if that is what you are asking about please clarify and maybe i can help. oj

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Advanced Design Chevy Pickups, 47-55.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The last time I did one on an Advanced Design (for OJ) Pickup I used a bracket from ECI
    (just the brackets are about half way down the page) I think $89 was a little much but it worked great, I took the bracket and a mid-late 60's drum/drum master cylinder and voila, much better brakes. The M/C I used cost me about $30 at the local parts place.

5. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

You don't happen to remember what type of MC you used do you? I'd like to get a known good one as I've done this on my 57 chevy and the MC I got sucks!

6. ryno

ryno

if your looking to run drum drum i just bought a 67 riviera m/c that may work for your app. or you could run a early 60's cadillac also dual m/c with drum drum.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not sure, but it was a GM product, I think I looked in the book and chose one that had the outlets on the outside to make it easier to run the lines.

8. When I converted my 54 Bel Air, I had a heck of a time finding a master that actually had the internal RPV's installed. I looked at several different reman masters and none had the RPV's. I eventually found a new one from NAPA (# 36236, I think) that had them. You could also buy a rebuild kit and install them yourself, or go with the aftermarket inline RPV's. The RPV's are supposed to give better pedal feel. No more pumping.

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I made my own:D Lines up with the pedal arm swing just fine. Saves $89 for the bracket.

Attached Files:

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

FWIW, the master in the pic isn't the master being used now. I'm using the Corvette disc/disc master for manual brakes from the early '70s.

11. rsg2506

rsg2506

I used the the eci bracket and (I think...my memory is getting bad) a 68 mustang master cylinder on my truck. I picked the master cylinder up at NAPA for about 30 bucks.

12. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I used to make those brackets. I may still have one left. The bolt pattern is set up for a 67-72 Mustang master cylinder. The bracket is a bolt on. I will check later today and sent you a pm.

13. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

i am about to do the same thing on a 50 5w. Can you pass the info on to me as well? I will try to follow this thread but if you learn anything else lemme know please.

i just pulled the front wheels off and took it down to the spindles. i am not gonna do the disc swap until I find a pot of gold.

14. The ECI guy told me the Disk/Drum Master they sell is from a Nova......68 era.

Does this mean the truck is driving???

15. Meyer

Meyer

Does anyone have the dimensions of the bracket? I need to do this as well.

16. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

That doesn't look all that complicated was it? Did you need anything special other than the bracket or did you just use push rod etc that was with the truck?

17. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Yeah let me know. I have that 67 MC on my 60 Falcon and it feels a lot better than the one I put on my 57, which I think is from an Impala.

18. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

I e-mailed you...