Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dry oil breather and high oil pressure???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winged Avenger II, Jun 26, 2011.

1. 239 Pontiac flat-6
    -oil pressure with it being a quart low runs at 75
    -added half quart oil, pressure at 75 at idle and 95 under load
    -OIL BREATHER CAP MESH SCREEN INSIDE IS BONE DRY??
    -rear main leak losing oil
    -starting to blow blue smoke out exhaust when revved.

All responses are welcome. Hoping it's not a busted ring or bad cylinder. Why would the breather be completely dry, should be wet with oil? Breather does vent steam when engine is hot. Thanx.:confused::confused:

2. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

I don't have any experience with these motors ,but it sounds like you have a restriction in the oil system.
    Has the motor been worked on recently? I usually backtrack what I've done recently to figure out a problem like this.
    Is it possible the oil filter is plugging up? I don't know if these have a bypass valve or not.
    Is it a fresh rebuild?

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Sounds like something is plugged. If it were a OHV engine I would think that that oil was restricted to the head . But the blue smoke is buirning oil so Im not sure how that theroy holds up. The dry screen might be due to the rear main possibly venting there . If you have a filter in the oiling system the restriction might be in the filtering, possibly in a line or passage. - I am not much help:confused:

4. No external oil filter, orig. engine, runs smoothly. It's dumping pretty good from the rear main. Breather mesh inside cap is usually ,oist with oil, not loaded up with it, now the mesh is bone dry. yet it vents heat(clear smoke when engine is hot)?? Keep 'em coming please.