Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drums for 46-48 Ford Hubs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, May 5, 2010.

1. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Ok, so you say the ultra cool look of the '58-'64 Buick 45 Fins are passe`. Stock Ford drums seem to be the only option. Looking at the drums that can be used with Bob Wilsons multi pattern '46-'48 hubs seem to be limited to the '46-'48 Pass. drums, and '40-'47 (according to C&G Early Fords catalog) Pick Up drums.

I really wanted to use Lincoln drums and get them chromed. But unless you are willing to re-drill, and then spotface the backs of the '39-'42 hubs (which I'm not) they seem to be out of the question.

So I'm looking for advice.

2. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Take the Buick drums, chuck them in a lathe and turn the fins off....then polish them.

Problem solved.

:)

3. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome. Can I come work for you Brian? :D

Viv La HAMB!

4. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Only if you don't mind listening to a combination of Western Swing and Old School Rap for 12 hrs a day.

:)

5. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Done. I'll need room for Azrael somewhere. And if you don't mind me building my new bike.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just cause someone on here doesn't like Buick drums it's not time to melt them all down for scrap. If you like Buicks do um and screw everyone else. You will be the only one on your block with Buicks.

7. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Well. It's not that I don't like Buick drums. But I've used them on several projects. And I don't want to be "that guy" that just builds the same chassis with the same parts with just a different body. Gotta keep it fresh man.

I had it wall worked out with the Lincolns, but I couldn't get the wheel in the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Sooooooo......

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Not meaning to step on your toes. I've used the Buicks into the ground puttum on so dam many cars I decided to use the new Lincoln backing plates and radially finned drums on all 4 corners of my latest personal roadster chassis. That aside there's nothing like a well polished pair of Buicks with chromed Lincoln plates to get their attention.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

If you are thinking of chrome, remember chrome is NOT a good stopping surface but you probably know that, but ive even see it on autorama great 8 cars....

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Biuick drums are "passe"? I must have missed that notification on the growing list of whats cool and what's not. What's next, flatheads with aluminum heads?