Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drum Puller for Banjo Rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tootallrodder, Dec 28, 2006.

1. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I am getting ready to start rebuilding the Banjo rear for my Model A. (a juice brake 39 or 40 ford)

I know that you should have a "special" drum puller to get the drums off of the tapered Axle.

Are these puller still available or is it a used only item?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Hope everyone had a great Christmas and will have a better New Year.

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

if its the standard 5.5" bolt pattern you can just use a regular 3 jaw puller
    if its the wide 5's you'll need to be more creative
    there was someone selling pullers on e-bay
    but the way i do it is to use a bearing split for a press
    the ones from harbor freight have threaded holes in them
    just put it around the ring on the center of the drum...tighten it down...put a bolt in each hole and use a crossbar type puller
    works real nice
    good luck
    Zach

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've used both the big 3-leg & the one sold on eBay - both work well. The one sold on eBay is limited to use with Ford & similar hub products with same dimensions on the hub. It's about $55-60 IIRC.

The big 3-leg works on any tapered hub with a "normal" bolt pattern - the 36-39 wide-5 bolt pattern won't work & you'll need a puller like the eBay one or the original KRW one.

I picked up a used 3-leg on eBay for about $25 because I needed it for my Willys Wagon.

Or improvise, adapt, & overcome like SUHRsc did!

4. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

The bearing puller Zach is talking about works well, but if you need to do it more then a few times I would consider getting one that is alittle bit more hevy duty like from Snap-on or somewere like that. I ended upm bending his up on the frist two I did.
    Good luck
    Me-oh

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have an old '35 wire wheel with a huge bar welded across the center. Hole drilled through the bar, install the wheel, insert 1" fine thread bolt, nut on the backside and get after it with a couple of adjustable wrenches and a cheater bar. Lets go with a bang.

It takes some monkey motion with a socket and u-joint to get all five lugnuts on, but I think it eliminates the possibility of bending the hub - which I've heard can happen with the three jaw puller.

6. flatford39

flatford39

That is ingenious. I think I will try to make one this weekend. I got a real piece of crap 40's wheel that will be a good donor.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Forgot: Had to space the bar away from the wheel about... an inch or so.

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The original KRW or the one on eBay won't warp the wheel like Kevin mentions & is what I use on my early Fords. I use the 3-jaw on my Willys...

9. I'll build one like this.

Attached Files:

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

JohnnyFast - that's the eBay one - works like a champ. Used it several times on my '34.

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Last week I had the same problem..I have a good puller but the shoes would not come loose. I unbolted the wheel cylinder, and the lower 2 adjusting bolts..( I was lucky as mine had the nuts on the outside) then everything came off it was sooo easy..Hope this helps;)

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

What catagory do you look under for the Ebay tool?

Frank