The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950fleetline, Jul 6, 2019.
I see dirt/debris, but after looking again and again, I see porosity........ I'de get a new one.
I can't imagine any kind of aluminum not getting similar damage if dropped several feet onto a concrete floor.
Another good reason for a dirt floor garage!
My guess..... they're used to help cancel out harmonics.
I think the aluminum is malleable enough that 5 minutes of run time will return the 5% of mushrooming back to the spec of the other 95%. I wouldn't recommend that if the smash was asymmetric or if any cracks. That's just me. Your gear, your opinion rules.
The crank gear is likely steel, my 250 inline is that way. The steel gear will clearance the deformed aluminum one in no time. File it down, and forget it.
Dirty floor? Just how clean do you think the assembly plants were when these old engines were put together?
I’ll guarantee you that they were never dirty. No manufacturers would take chances of contamination in a new engine
Tonawanda claimed they had the cleanest engine plant in the world some years back......
Because the crank and cam travel at different speeds
File it and run.... seen worse reused with no issues
Given the workload on that gear when howling around when you have the 'pedal to the metal' I wouldn't be too concerned with a little bump on the floor. If it's a reused gear the porosity wouldn't concern me either. If it was going to explode it would've done it by now.
On the other hand if it's being used in a high revving race engine I'd probably replace it anyway.
How high did it bounce? , Just clean it up and use it. HRP
Chev/GMC 6 ....won't hurt anything.
i've never done it, but vern tardel recommends filing to reduce gear noise...
File it down and run it!
Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Myq two cents is garage floors and internal engine parts should never mix. Unless you enjoy having to change the "timing whirlies" in your engine, or worse, having it damaged to the point of teardown, I'd suggest not using the gear. A few more bucks spent far outweigh the risk of it failing due to an unseen flaw.
OK. I'll try. Is it so the wheels would turn at different speeds to eliminate harmonics? (You did say "guess".)
I've seen worse come out of running engines with 50,000 miles on them.
If you want to re-use it, pull all the spark plugs first and slowly crank the engine over with a rachet.... First mark that gear with a magic marker where all the dings are.... If the motor binds up in that area, go buy a new gear!.....
...or file it down some more!
Well I’m in the your engine your decision camp. But if it were me I’d replace it with new. Unless it is an engine being assembled with used parts why chance it. The involute cut on gear teeth are very precision that can’t be replicated with a file. The cost of the gear is minor compared to the total cost of the other engine parts used.
As far as cleanliness goes you can never have a engine build area too clean. I have seen NASCAR engine build rooms that would rival the cleanliness of hospital surgical areas. I have also been in aircraft engine build rooms you could eat off the floor.
On the other end of that spectrum, although the engines built for WW2 bombers fighters etc. were built in sterile environments , pretty sure in the war zone they were fixed in the dirt.
Cause the gear is wore slap out. Its pitted. If it were mine and I was not trying to get on the road in the middle of no where just to get home I would have replaced it well before I dropped it on the floor.
@1950fleetline mentioned early on that it is a new gear, and aluminum at that. Dress it with a fine file and put it in.
I bet he did just that days ago.
File and go.
If that gear can't take a beating on the floor, I wouldn't want in my engine anyway.
File and go with it.
Holy cow. I would stick it in and run it. It'll self-clearance in a few seconds.
PAINT IT BLUE, CALL IT NEW.
How many times do you think parts have been dropped between mfg. , warehouse, , postal guy and parts store, there is a chance you get a new one , someone dropped that too you just don’t know about it
Separate names with a comma.