Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dropped 34 Stock Axle and Steering arms

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I have a couple questions about modifying the steering arms on original spindles for a drop axle. The steering arms a need little bend to get back turning radius and then raise the ends to clear the wishbones. My question is this, does this get done on the car? does this damage the bushings and will they need to be replaced?

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

I think it's easier to do in a vise rather than on the axle. Bolt an old Ford backing plate to the spindle, and take measurements from the backing plate to keep your Ackerman consistent. You can also mark how much drop you will need on the plate.

Reason I think it's easier off the axle is because you need to get in there tight on the base of the arm to heat and bend it down towards the center of the car. This gives clearance under the axle on a full turn. Then you can worry about the amount of drop to put the tie rod around the wishbone.

uncle buck and 117harv like this.
  3. 117harv

117harv

What alchemy said.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another thing...Vern Tardel publishes a pamphlet on this...it does an amazing job of illustrating the several interrelated bends and where to grip and twist.

Pewsplace likes this.

5. "Jacksandeuces" dropped my '40 spindles and installed new bushings.
    I'm pretty sure he used a jig to keep the measurements consistent.

Attached Files: