Register now to get rid of these ads!

drop yer c@cks and grab yer socks, its the monthly meeting of bangers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Sep 1, 2006.

1. '28 has a 1.5:1 rocker ratio the 3-port has a 1:1 rocker ratio, I have been told that Nash rocker arms are used, not sure what model though.

4ever4, I'm 85% sure it is a Tornado piece.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

hey F.B. ...you comin over friday night or saturday morning?
    p.s... i got a 28 chevy head at the machine shop....hahaha secret stash for
    uber-secret project....

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

interesting...very interesting. 2 port i assume? you know i have been eyeballing that same super secret set up. :D

i dont know when i am going to come over, we shall see.

4. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Jimmy good to see the pics, hows the boat tail goin??

I havn't done much except for picking up the remains of 2 model A's for 50 aussie bucks, Got 2 complete engines + one block in the deal.

in reasonable nick, will make one good one out of both, may have to sell my rpu,

The project I'm workin on is an inline 6, so that's got my attention for now...

Cheers

Outback

5. G'day Outback, the boat-tail has been put on hold as I have the car I wanted in the first place :D.

You running a 6 in the new A or is this another project? You always seem to find those cheap A models, don't you :eek: :D !

Do you have a spare A Model front cross member?
    Cheers
    Jimmy

6. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

No the 6 is going into a 24 chev bucket, will be pretty quick, with tripples light crank etc!

I think I may have a spare front cross member, as I'm giving 1 chassis to a mate, (part payment for an ole BSA) and he doesn't want/need the front x member, it's currently still in the chassis, will be pulling it out this week.

I'm guessin your wanting it,

Cheers

Outback

7. Progress in NZ on my chassis has been slower than I expected with summer almost around the corner.
    However its a roller, I spent yesterday fabricating new front horns for the chassis. The entire chassis has been hand fabricated and it has been time consuming but very rewarding. The engine has 4x rubber mounts from a flathead ford and I have made my own centre X member from the same 4x2 channel of the chassis. The X member has slots and holes in it and the chassis has been step boxed, Deuce factory front cross member flattened out with notches for front spring clearance. The rear of the chassis is kicked up 6 inches. The engine is the running A motor from the original chassis but I am fitting a Winfield head, my Mallory electronic dizzy and an MSD 6AL. Still alot of work to do but its getting there.
    Previously I fitted a 6cyl Falcon waterpump in the lower hose and that solved alot of cooling issues. If anyone on here wants to know more or see some pics, feel free to email me on [email protected]
    I am not too hot at posting pics but I welcome the sharing of ideas and thoughts etc. This whole interest in bangers has really grown - its too cool!
    Best regards,
    Greg Stokes

8. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

I'm heading for Adelaide on Thursday to take part in the Bay to Birdwood run. Limited to 1750 cars so should be more of a dawdle than a run. After that we are driving back to Perth in convoy, approximately 14 A's taking it easy over six days. First long test of a bunch of modifications, maybe 2300 miles one way but should be fun. Pictures on return.

9. Please keep me updated on the Chev, where did you find a '24 cowl?
    A Brit bike is on my want list, just need to find one I can afford!:D
    I'm very interested in the cross member if you want to sell it :)
    Cheers
    Jimmy

10. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I picked up a chassis, cowl & rear tourer tub, at an Aunty & Uncles farm, I left 2 front guards 1 rear and a block at the farm. (Manilla NSW)

I do have another cowl that was given to me, I was going to use it to widen mine but it's a little rustier, so it's still at dad's.

When I finish busting apart the chassis I'll have a look at th cross member, and let you know what it's like,

Let me know your email and I'll send some pics of the chev. I'm hoping to drive it down for wintersun next year..... so we'll see how that goes, hmmm

The BSA is a 500 ohv in a rigid, raked frame, should be good fun!

Cheers

Outback

11. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Oh, jimmy do you want any of the cross members from the Chev chassis, I'll be using the front and second rear,

Good to see you back Greg, trust alls well.

Outback

12. I wish my relatives had vintage tin on their property! & I would be interested in the block if it were closer :( .

I haven't seen too many '24-'26 Chev cowls around, I would put it aside.

Cheers mate!

I'll PM you......wait, Is your email still the same? If so I will email you. I look forward to seeing your new project & this time you need to drop into my place and check out my junk!:D

Cool! :D :D :D :D Yes it will be fun!
    & I am interested in the rear Chev motor cross member if you don't need it.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"If anyone on here wants to know more or see some pics, feel free to email me on [email protected]"
    Why not post what you did as a tech piece?? Sounds interesting...the traditional Hudson pump swap has grown WAY too esoteric for practical use...

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hoo ha! Score! This month's shopping trip to the Bangerama: Someone posted about a Wico mag, removed from a friend's Model A in 1945 and carefully stored since...I leapt in...got it!
    Model X, series number XV...it has a cast iron Ford style base with locating pin, not the separate locating shoe found on many. Looks like cast Wico body rotates on iron base for timing. Mag and what I can see of innards in absolutely great condition--everything inside is clean and shiny, owner's careful scratch marks indicating cylinder numbers just visible on the cap.
    Now, the search for ancient knowledge begins...
    Last month's score was a huge 26 MM venturi for a Model B Zenith...found it in my basement. Finally figgered out why I can't find any B Zeniths at the swaps anymore...I already have them all. Duh.

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

nice score bruce,
    just yesterday i was ripping apart a model-x that i got with a gear on the bottom...(i picked it up for the cap and spare parts)
    but when i took the cap off...the rotar looked familiar...so into the trunk i go...i knew when i bought this car that there was a rotar floating around in the trunk but i didnt know what it fit...so i left it there
    turns out its exactly the same as the WICO but doesnt have WICO cast into it...so maybe this car ran a WICO mag at some point?

also do these WICO's for the A motors have a mechanical advace?
    the one with the gear on the bottom did...i'm trying to figure out a way to run it off the timing gear down on the side...seems easy enough if i can find the right gear for it..just a matter of machining a new cover for the side to fit the mount....
    Zach

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

So far, I know NOTHING about the Wico...cap&rotor have a tiny General electric logo cast in. Side drive is good, since distrib drive gear is a weak area on these engines, and usually gear on cam is worn. I've heard that many farm and aircompressor bagers have a side drive governor that can be a starting point for side drive ignition. And have a look sometime at a Pontiac OHC 6 cylinder from about 1968...they have an interesting separate side drive unit that looks like it could adapt to gear drive and new uses...

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

hmm...i'll have to keep my eyes open at the junk yard
    i would like to run a side mounted distributor on a motor with this supercharger i have to try to keep it as short as possible...i can get the carbs down beside the motor on the drivers side, using the supercharger to push the mixture around the motor and if the distributor is out of the way...i can put the motor closer to the hood and get a lower profile car....this is all just thinking....i dont think 100mph is too big of a problem with one of these flathead motors...but what about 150?
    overdrive-quickchange and BIG tires!...why not?!?!?
    will an updraft carb handle running at high speed?

18. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Yep, I've got one of these on my shelf from a B engined generator that passed through my hands recently. I'll get a picture of it later and post it.

19. Has that engine gone now then?

I meant to ask you to bring the governor to the drags but totally forgot about it.

Are you doing the All Ford rally?

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

It's been paid for, but it's still in the garage.
    I'm certainly hoping to go to the All Ford Rally, but I won't kow for definite until closer to the weekend. I'm hoping to collect an AA bellhousing from there.

21. Who bought it?

22. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

Darren do you want me to check if John C has an AA bellhousing at home to take Sunday I think he has broken a few in the past?
    If you send me a PM I will send you some pics of the carnage in my sump after the weekend!
    Rich

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Not for me to say, Clark.

Rich...just PM'd ya.

24. Jalopy-Phil

Jalopy-Phil

Hey,
    I'm new here. I just picked up a 29 model A. I need to wire this thing up and I don't know where to start. there are no lights or amp meter just an on/off key ignitition switch(non-pop out) all the components have wires and terminals, they are just not connected to each other. I just want to wire it up to start and i'll worry about lights and stuff later. I searched the tech archive but couldn't find anything; maybe i just didn't put in the right terms.

Thanks,
    Phil

25. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Here ya go, Phil. Welcome along, by the way.....

I've left this as big as it comes so that it's clear.

[​IMG]

26. Jalopy-Phil

Jalopy-Phil

Thanks Artiki. If i'm reading this right, if i take the ameter out of the circuit I hook up the generator to the starter and one side of the coil. I don't have that armoured cable from the switch to distributor, so I could run a wire from the switch to the condensor. Does this sound right.

Thanks,
    Phil