Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Drop axle steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33essex, Jul 13, 2018.

1. 33essex

33essex

So I’m looking for thoughts on how this should be handled to get steering to clear. Like most I can’t really afford to do the wrong thing. If you got pictures would be great!
    Thankscdn.com/20180713/7dc1c3d5a37b47f2589187d4c46a26c1.jpg[/IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'd say start by laying an engine in there, and then a cement block or two to simulate other missing bits. If you don't have mounts in lay it on some sort of improvised crossbars to put the weight on the chassis...you need to get all the arms at finished height AND, with cross steer, figure out if pan and steering get along. Too many guesstimates without that! I'm assuming steering box is attached?

Hnstray likes this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

You word you want is 'dropped'. Its a dropped axle

302GMC likes this.
  4. You heat them up and reshape them so the tie rod goes under the 'bones. Easy bending to clear an aftermarket axle like yours.
    arm left (Medium).jpg arm right (Medium).jpg

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So you posted photos but where/ what. Are you having clearance problems with specifically?

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Never had the later wishbone, but isn't yours up side down? Bob

7. 33essex

33essex

8. 33essex

33essex

No not up side down. They are 47-48 wishbones if I remember right.

Sarabia likes this.
  9. 33essex

33essex

Box is not attached just clamps. I think I got this figured out . Did some reading and pictures above helped. Will be swapping out oxygen tank tomorrow morning and yes I have heated and bent stuff before.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  10. Here is an article I found; it shows a '40 axle; but the procedure is the same. Your aftermarket axle will need less downward twist in the initial bend and some more in the second downward bend.
    img001.jpg img002.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  11. 392

Yes heat and bend. It took me a bit even with hair pins.

12. bathcollector

bathcollector

Have a look at what you wrote and put your stones down.

seabeecmc and Hnstray like this.
  13. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that's some captious shit. Ron

14. 33essex

33essex

Anyway took a little bit to get to it. I got the arms bent to where I need them. IMG_2726.JPG IMG_2727.JPG IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2730.JPG IMG_2733.JPG

bct, AndersF and RICH B like this.
  15. For the guys who have heated,and bent steering arms....are the lower king pin bushings ok size wise after heating? Does the pin act as a heat sink?

16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Be sure to get the spindles magnafluxed for cracks that might have occurred during the heating and dropping.

Shadetree40 likes this.
  18. I usually leave the old bushings in and use old kingpins until after the arms are bent, then install and ream the bushings

You have to bend stock arms to clear the axle anyway; might as well do the whole job; anyway those are made for trucks where the spring is in quite a bit further than a wishbone leg ends up. Don't see where there is room for the downward angling section of the dropped tie rod end, since the steering eye ends up right by the wishbone with a normal split to the bones. Dropped end picture isn't so good; but have to imagine if the the end was a couple inches higher and trying to swing towards the wishbone leg.
    unnamed.jpg
    IMAG1319 (Medium).jpg

Sounds like a good idea. It would be interesting to learn if anyone has found a fault and what was determined to be the cause.