Register now to get rid of these ads!

drop a deuce headlight bar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rumblegutz, Feb 17, 2010.

1. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Never done it. What do I need to know?

I did do a search to no avail.

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I can drop a deuce, but no luck with any headlight bars.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

when you bend it...you're going to lose some overall length, so you'll have to figure out how to stretch it also.

I just buy them new...stainless...with mounting bolts...easier

dj

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The important thing when dropping any headlamp bar is makeing sure the jig you use duplicates the end mounting angles of YOUR CAR! So, fit the bar to your car, make your jig duplicate the mounting angle of the end pads not forgetting any fore/aft tilt it may have. Make up a tool which will mount to the headlamp cups tightly holding them both tightly. Using two torches, heat up the bars between the cups and the mount flanges, when both sides are yellow hot and plastic push down slowly straight down on your drop tool attached to the cups. (Be wary of heating the area near the cups as the stainless jacket covering the center section of the bar may be disturbed by the heat.) This will give you a nice even "S"-curve drop on each end and assure that both cups are symmetrical and maintain the forward curve of the bar that clears the grille bars. Let cool in the air. Clean and paint.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I dropped mine with a cutting torch head and a big vice. This was before 1-800 hotrodding.

It took some fiddlin' but it came out just fine. One thing to remember is to keep test fitting the lower bolt so that it can still be inserted after your drop. It's easy to go too far and restrict the access of the lower bolt. I used the stock fender braces on the frame for a test fit. I was only doing one so I never built a jig. If your fenders are painted, a jig might be a good idea. I figured I was as good as the guys in the 40s/50s.

7. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I built a simple jig duplicating each end and went about heating and dropping. I only had one torch so it was a little more involved with doing one side a little at a time and having to loosen up on side to heat the other. In the end it worked out killer and I still have a jig for future use. I wanted as much drop as I could get so I welded a nut to the lower bolt hole. When mounting, I use a stainless carriage bolt on top hole and just a regular bolt threaded from the bottom of the fender up into the lower hole. The bottm hole is just about completely shrowded by the bar.

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

9. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

There is a fellow here near Atlanta thats been doing them for a hundred years...If you need one done. I can give you his number.

10. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

11. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

OK Greasy hub caps....Gene McKenny's number , he can do it

12. lorodz

lorodz

in the new issue of street rodder there is a very detailed artical from the rolling bones on how to do so..looks great

13. ratrod0

ratrod0

^^ not with fenders ^^

14. racemad55

racemad55

Nice,but not for fendered cars.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

16. ratrod0

ratrod0

make sure the bar is bowed out enuff to to mis the grill and the head light cups are at the right angle. (The bow it has now will try and straighten out when you strech it down)

17. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

OK I got word that Deuce Roadster can do the job and hes on here some where...

18. Dropped mine but was a model A. Same concept thou. I used a tiger tip and a vice and the original fender braces for fitting. Not that difficult realy.

Attached Files:

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Pete Eastwood does a killer job of droping bars. Also Jim Rench at Hot Rod Stuff if you can get either one of them to do it. Jim has a jig like Petes and I have never had one fit so good.

20. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Pete Eastwood gets my vote, he did the one on my old 5 window & he just did 2 for me one for my future project & one for a Tudor were building, only way to go .