Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driveway find '46 Chevy P.U.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas4blood, Jul 5, 2009.

1. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Here's what followed me home after a friend told me about it. This 1946 Chevy half ton was built about 15 years ago. Mustang II front end, 350/350 w/ headers, Edelbrock intake and carb, '55? rear end, power steering and brakes, runs and drives. The builder put in a v-butted glued in windshield, but I don't think it looks good. What really reeks is the '47 up bed, it's too wide and was not "finessed" into place in the running boards/splash area. It's about 1.5 inches too wide on each side. Anyone got a good '41-'46 bed, fenders, and running boards? The interior is sorta funky too, some kind of buckets, electric for the driver, and a nasty overhead console for the radio. Some rust, but I've seen a lot worse. The best part? It was way cheap! It looks like I have some work to do, but I had to adopt the old girl in spite of how ugly she is...
    Sorry for the not too good pics.

Attached Files:

2. forty1

forty1

Congrat & welcome to the 'club'.
    Have fun with it.. agree bed & fender look BAD, kaka !
    -41-

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You've already got a handle on it. If it was cheap just fix the bad and you'll have a cool little hauler. I've certainly seen worse on here and the guy was bragging about his "find":)

Frank

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

looks like you need the painted piece that goes under the grille

5. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Did it come out of Oz? South of the Whistle Stop Cafe?

6. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

nice 46 and i like the color .thanks

7. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

It came from NE Kansas. I have seen folks pay more for a non-running rough truck, I got lucky. So far all I can see to make it highway friendly is bleeding the brakes and aligning the front end.

8. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Yep. Got one for me?:D

9. Mine.....the pan below the grille is available in "glass. That's what mine is.

Attached Files:

10. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

You guys have some nice trucks there....I like the Art Deco Chevys. They have more character than the newer ones. I will say the cab room is tight. I have to lift my right foot way up in the air to hit the brake pedal. I think a seat change could add some room, and maybe redo the brake pedal so it doesn't sit so high. It's a beater, but one with promise. I hope to be done at under $4,000 including bed, fenders, boards, and other odds and ends. Careful shopping will be required!

11. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

the 41-46 is the best truck gm has eveen made to me i have about 7 of them the front valance your need is hard to find it metal it took me about 7 years to find one for my 46 chevy pick-up. if you get less then 4000 in just that body it was a great deal .thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. I have enjoyed my 46 since 93. A 3 year restoration was unveiled at the Turkey Rod Run in 96. Still has glass rear fenders as it was a fuel truck on a wheat farm in Montana.

Attached Files:

13. Oh by the way I like Red and Black.

14. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I love my ugly duckling! I gotta admit, I wasn't crazy about the bodystyle until this one showed up, now it's won me over. I think even the general public is starting to like them, as I get at least an offer every time I drive mine.