Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dripping Grease Guns!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spot, Mar 19, 2013.

1. spot

spot
    from usa

Where and how do you guys store your grease guns. I've tried all kinds of ways, hanging them right side up, up side down, laying on their side and no matter what I end up with a grease spot on the floor, shelf on in my tool box.:eek:

Somebody has got to have solved this issue.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it bothers you wrap a rag around the end. The rest of us hang them up and let them drip.

They won't drip as much if you leave them with the handle pushed all the way in. When you finish greasing the last joint be careful not to pull it out, you could even put a rubber band around it.

3. Pull the plunger back , it takes the spring pressure off the tube .

4. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I slit a piece of felt and slid it on the tail shaft rod to absorb the drips. I hang the tail aiming down! hope this helps.

5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Hang mine inside a piece of PVC pipe with a bottom glued on it. Bout twice a year wipe it out.

6. modeleh

modeleh

hang them in a circular fashion on the inside edge of a 5 gallon pail. The pistol grip types work the best for hanging on the bucket edge, but the lever type will stay there also. All the drips from the end of the hose and the plunger drop into the pail. Also makes a good place to store your funnels. You can put a few paper towels in the bottom of the pail to absorb the mess, but who really cares about an oily pail bottom. Also is handy to just take the pail out to where you are working on the car, you have all your funnels and grease guns together in a carrying case.

7. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I cut an opening in an old antifreeze jug and let the grease gun sit inside it. It will contain the drip...

...and then when you accidentally kick the danged thing over you will get one huge spot instead of a little drip....LOL

8. indyjps

indyjps

I lay mine on the shelf on a rag

9. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I hang mine from a nail inside a cabinet with the bottom resting inside an empty 15 OZ margarine cup. Once a year or so throw out the margarine cup and replace with a new one.

10. Dave B.

Dave B.

I store mine in a plastic tote box. It's about 24" x 15" x 6" deep. Holds all 3 of my grease guns - 2 large lever-types and 1 pistol style. Put some paper towels or newspaper in the bottom and you're good to go. The best part is that it keeps grease off people who used to accidentally bump into the guns!

Edit: Forgot to say that it also makes the grease guns easy to transport if you're working in someone's garage who doesn't have a grease gun...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  11. no55mad

no55mad

Store it in the freezer - the ladies love that!

12. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

plastic shopping bag - get one while you can!

13. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

"Regular" grease is oil suspended in a thickener. Over time, constant pressure in the gun can cause that oil to be forced out of suspension. Given enough time some oil will leak out of the grease even when it isn't under pressure, but per the suggestion quoted above, the amount will be much less if the gun's plunger is retracted..

14. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I use a latex glove, whipe the exess grease off then stategically place that little bit under the door handle of someones car. Also the little bits that leak out are great for frying chicken. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

15. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I store mine in the bottom of an ancient tool box. Keeps it from rusting.

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

17. cayager

cayager

Exactly what I do. Keeps everything in one spot. Filter pliers wrenches, funnels and anything oil related.