Register now to get rid of these ads!

drip rail seam sealer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotit, Dec 4, 2011.

1. gotit

gotit

On my 54 chevy half the filler from between the roof and drip rail was gone so I wire wheeled the rest out and cleaned the seam. Should I replace this sealer? If so what is it or what should I use?

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yep seam sealer works!

3. gotit

gotit

This should be fun. Its a little tight in the drip rail and to make it look nice will be work.

Thank you for the response

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'd just run a small amount in there and smear it with my finger... Oh... tape off both sides first though so you can peal the tape off after smearing it and get a nice tight line!!!

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You really need to reseal it. The choice is between the old fashioned seam sealer in a tube, or can, that air dries, or the newer 2 part, tube with mixer stuff. Although I usually like the more old fashioned way of doing things, that new 2 part stuff is great!

6. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

I like the tube kind called Drip Check...

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

yes you really want to replace it.we use 3m products. they got good seam sealer.been using for yrs.and like what chadillac said use tape. run a line of tape all the way down the roof by the rail and tape on the rail itself then you will have a tight line of sealer and alot less mess to clean up. cause when that shit dries its there for awhile.

8. 3M PN 8307 Self Leveling Seam Sealer is what your looking for. See if your local paint jobber has a gun you can use. Basically its a "flowable" seam sealer, if you put some on a flat board it turns into a flat puddle, put it betwwen two objects i.e. drip rail it flows to fill the void. Its also paintable in 30 minutes. Put it over a 2K urethan or epoxy primer. If it's going to sit in there awhile I would scuff it with a scotch brite before you start the paint process. Good Luck

9. gotit

gotit

Thank you for all the tips. I just learned my buddy that works for a body shoo here in town will be back this week from PA so I will see if I can get him to get me some of the product.

10. Apply the seam sealer, spread it thinly with your finger then final work it with an acid brush and laquer thiiner. Works really good and is easy to do. Work about a 2 foot section at a time.

11. roundvalley

roundvalley

Get a large syringe and load it with seam sealer.
    Mask the edges.
    You can insert it further into the seam an have more control.

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Yeah, the self-leveling stuff is awesome - like magic

13. macs67

macs67
    from oregon

rv roof vent sealerits self leveling & $9.00 a caulk tube, another option

14. If you only have a couple of small cracks in the old drip rail sealer,can you just fill them in with new sealer, or do I need to scrape it all out and start over?

15. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Yup!

16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will the self-leveling stuff work where the drip rail drops down at a slant behind the B pillar, or will it all run down the rail and end up in a pool on the deck lid? Remember, neither rust, nor gravity, ever sleeps.

17. Make a dam of masking tape at the end of that B pillar and start there, use very little in that area ( enough to cover the seam and than move on to the flat areas of the drip rail ) works on Expedition roofs that slope down towards the front.

18. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Great info, Thanks........

19. 351cmach

351cmach
    from Ma

20. beater32

beater32

3m Drip Check

21. gotit

gotit

That seems like a perfect setup. I like this idea.

Thanks