Register now to get rid of these ads!

drilling hard steel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theracedude, Jul 30, 2008.

1. theracedude

theracedude

I want to drill a hole in the input shaft of a mustang II rack but it's hard. VERY HARD.

What type of drill will cut it?

2. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Cobalt, Sears has them

3. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

There is also a drilling fluid called Mystic Metal Mover. we use it at work to drill stainless it is the shit. Most welding suppily shops have it. If you get some you will wonder what you did w/ out it I swear.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  4. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Your probably goin need a carbide drill, If you don't have acess to a milling machine or a good ridgid drill press I would suggest getting someone who does as carbide drills and mills are pretty brittle if not in a good ridgid setup, and it will be a lot easier to locate the center of the shaft in a milling machine. I would be concerned drilling into a hardened steering shaft, you can easily change the properties of the metal depending on how hot it gets while the machining is done, not to mention how a thru hole can weaken the shaft, good luck.

5. Carbide will do it.Also fragile and expensive.

I won't ask why you are drill the hole.

6. Dyce

Dyce

Carbide, slow speed, sturdy setup and lots of oil. Take a file to it just to see how hard it really is. I wouldn't think a steering input shaft would be that hard, but I've never tried to drill one either.
    Jeff

7. How big a hole and how deep?
    I drill safes opem some stuff at rockwell 90.
    I use carbide drills also have some diamond drills . see if there is a safe tech in your area he might drill it for you. He will charge for the drill bit about $ 25.00.

8. Dyce

Dyce

I just have to ask. After you drill it, do you have to tap threads in this hole? Let me warn you, drilling a hole is easyer than tapping one.

9. That is a valid point,they are usually toughened,or case hardened.

10. zbuickman

zbuickman

cobalt or carbide at a slow speed and use oil!!!!!!!! the bits are brittle and will snap easily. 1/8 " pilot - 3/16 -1/4 - 5/16 -3/8 - you get the idea...good luck:)

EDIT: oh yeah and push hard

11. mink

mink
    from CT

are you sure it hardened steel you deeling with?

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Many parts like those racks have a hardend outer [case hardended],but after you get down about .010in. or so it cuts better. Using a grinding wheel to cut though that first layer helps. If your real short on $,it is OK to use a concreat drill,they're cheep but have carbide tip on them.:cool:
    Or just bring it by and we'll do it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  13. theracedude

theracedude

a mustang II rack has the standard splined input shaft that connects to your steering wheel. a knuckle conects to the shaft and then you install a jam allen screw and jam nut for safety. i wanted to drill a small hole and put a bolt and nut inplace of the jam nut.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If it's really really hard, (Doubt it) you couls always drag out the Yellow pages and look under EDM. That will make a hole for you. Not really expensive either. Sometimes I think my replying to a post is it's kiss of death.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008