Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dream Power

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Vic Walter, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

Look around any Hot Rod get together, focus in on a early thirties coupe, roadster, sedan and you will likely see these engines, in no particular order:
    1. The original, maybe mod'ed
    2. Small Block Chevy / Ford
    3. Ford flat head v8
    4. Hemi or other typical big block
    5. Buick nailhead, late fifties Cad
    6. and maybe a limited list of a few others.

So the question is, beyond the above list, no limit on cost nor sourcing time. And considering that the Rod is to be driven routinely across country, what is your dream power plant ?

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

You have the option of asking the question with a pole, that may help give you a easier answer. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  3. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

When I hit the powerball I will be building a Merlin or rolls WWII new old stock fighter plane motor. You asked!

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Lottery winnings would be spent on a complete blown 392 hemi.

Bandit Billy likes this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like a Cunningham intake for my 354 HEMI. Bob

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if you are running cross country maybe a mill that's parts are on every parts store's shelves...
    $0.02 ...

robracer1 and big duece like this.
  7. wicarnut

wicarnut

2 for me. An 270 Offy 4 cylinder and a Foyt V-8 (Ford double over head cam Indy car engine) The V8 in a 32 Highboy Roadster, The Offy in a 32 5 window coupe, as long as I'm day dreaming and need to win the lottery to make these cars happen, 1 more, an H&H Blown Flathead in a 32 3 window complete w/quick change, HAMB style rides w/ improvements/updates for driver friendly/comforts. Now I need to go and buy a few lottery tickets for these current day dreams. I have had the good fortune to own some of my dream cars, Highboy Roadster, 32 3 Window, currently a 51 Mercury, several OT performance cars and many race cars, LIFE has been good to me, very fortunate/Lucky, BUT it is Fun to day dream about rides that are not going to happen anymore for me.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I overlooked the last line, having a finished car that runs, that would be a total day dream. Bob

VANDENPLAS and olscrounger like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a 1934 Austin Ruby that has a Geo Metro 1000cc 3 cylinder engine. What I would love to do is adapt a DOHC head from a Suzuki Swift GTI. To do this would require shortening the head by one cylinder and making two billet camshafts. Way beyond my skills.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice, How is that brake upgrade dream going. :rolleyes: Bob

11. Well, given the eternal dichotomy between practicality and outrageousness, Cole Cutler's Boss 429-powered '34 Ford coupe has always been one of my personal favorites.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A lot of value in that statement but one thing most hot rodders have not been accused of and that's being sensible.

13. Full blown 426 race hemi with nitrous attaches to a lenco for shear stupidity and silliness !!

For daily beatings and cheapness to run a T.B.I sbc
    ( I know I’ll get shot for this one, but let’s face it, this engine is like those African kids unicef wants you to adopt for about 10 cents a day !!)

14. You asked this in 'Traditional Hot Rods.'
    :confused:

Bandit Billy and F&J like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I've done the blown big block chevy thing for decades, it works great.

Just this year, I did the blown 1960s hemi thing, it's a little too much. But still a lot of (nerve wracking) fun.

I just got done with the Caddy flathead road trip, today. I think it would not be too high on my list...it's ok for local use, though.

firstinsteele likes this.