Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Drdave accidentally buys a Model A. Now what?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drdave, Jun 17, 2018.

1. I definitely like the black walls better, plus they are easier to keep clean. There are several posts on using the deuce grill shell on a 1930/31 Model A. Main thing is you have to relocate the filler neck on the radiator if you want to use the stock cap. On my AVATAR the cap was removed and replaced by a pressure cap under the hood. I attached an original cap to the shell for looks using a metal strap, and bolt. I would keep the tire in the fender and use the trunk to carry stuff. I just noticed the eyebrow fenders in your first post, nice touch. Car is looking good.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. Thanks for the tips Charlie. I had done some quick reading on the 32 grille swap and it seemed like it might be a pretty easy deal all things considered. I dunno about the spare tire and trunk tho. LOL I've kinda kept my eye out for a decent 30 fender without a spare hole for half reasonable to swap it out and plan on removing the trunk. For just putting around town or a few shows, I don't figure the trunk will get any use. LOL

Pardon my ignorance, but what are eyebrow fenders?

Okie Pete, dwollam and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  3. Eyebrow fenders have the fender bead running across the front of the fender. They were used only in VERY early 1930 vehicles. They are neat but may be a problem for you. You would be lucky to find any eyebrow fender but to find one without a fender well could be a problem. You might have to replace both fenders or patch up the hole for the well in yours (bad idea on a fender that rare). Running one with and one without an eyebrow would look funny. Keep your fender with the well and use the trunk. Drive it a while and you will find the trunk to be useful, otherwise there is no place to put stuff.

Charlie Stephens

4. verde742

verde742

My friend used to say : Just Clean the windshield and Wax the hood, that's all your gonna see anyway !!!

5. Thanks Charlie, now I have learned something. Guess I can stop my hunt for a plain fender...good thing I didn't spend money on one only to find out it didn't match. LOL I don't see me buying two fenders, so guess the spare stays right where it is. LOL

6. 'Mo

'Mo

How about dialing back a tad on the yellow?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

catdad49, dwollam and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. Oh yeah, the “straw” that’s on the car now is much more subdued than the yellow in the photoshop. I will certainly be sticking with the lighter straw color rather than an out right yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. dwollam

dwollam

Here is my '31 Coupe in the same colors. Chicle and Copra Drab with Tacoma Cream wheels.

20170814_124456.jpg 20180711_131442.jpg

Dave

9. Excellent! I would have never thought in a million years I'd consider any sort of "drab" paint job pretty, but I really like this color combo. The cream wheels are perfect!

dwollam likes this.
  10. Better???

wheels3.jpg

11. Wow! Thanks Moose! Right on the money! I wasn't worried about the shade when you did the first set, I could see where I was going with that, my problem was choosing the white walls vs the black walls, which your pics helps solve perfectly. Cool to have one with the lighter wheels tho, thanks!!! :)

edit: and I must apologize to everyone, and especially @themoose....I should have named him and gave him credit in my post above with his photoshops. He is the one that took the time and put the pics together for me most graciously giving of his time and talents so I could see how the car would look with either set of tires. Thanks man!!!!

Okie Pete, OahuEli, dwollam and 8 others like this.
  12. 'Mo

'Mo

Moose is THE MAN!

13. dwollam

dwollam

DrDave, personally I dislike most shades of green but for some reason the colors on my coupe don't bother me too much... Although thoughts have gone through my mind about changing the Copra Drab to a brown or something and leaving the Chicle.

Dave

drdave likes this.
  14. Not much to report, just mostly been driving it here and there and gathering up parts. Picked up the wheels from the powder coater today and dropped them off at the tire shop to mount up the new Firestones...700’s for the back and 550’s for the front.

[​IMG]

15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweeeeeet!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  16. Try to get them to mount them using tire irons. Maybe try a shop that is old and works on truck tires. If they insist on using a machine be sure they know what they are doing, they bend easily. This is one thing I usually do myself since I don't know anyone I trust.

Charlie Stephens

17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen some shops use a slip on cover the tire thing , plastic or something...ask around...

loudbang and drdave like this.
  18. b-bob

b-bob

My avatar is Chicle drab and black 14249729_10206723266909331_2537478802863880317_o.jpg fenders.

19. Doc!! What the heck are you doing over here in the "Hot Rod" section?? Kidding ass-ide, I like your plans for the coach and thought you might like a '50s inspirational pic.. It's a two door of course and without many of the changes you are planning, but it's a true mid fifties rod:
    DF_ModelA2.jpg

Dave

Okie Pete, 54delray, dwollam and 5 others like this.
  20. That’s not far from the kinda look I think I’m going for Dave, thanks for the pic!!

B-Bob, funny, I just saw a pic the other day of one that had black in the Chicle like yours and I thought “hmmm, that looks pretty sharp!” Something to consider if I ever repaint it.

21. Step 1 of hot rod poser Town Sedan complete....put the new wheels and tires on last night. Dropped the front end about an inch and raised the rear about an inch. Next up, dropped axle and reversed spring up front and T spring in the rear.

IMG_6695.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

22. lake_harley

lake_harley

Looking gooder!

Lynn

23. Well hello there !!! Hi, Beauty.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    drdave likes this.
  24. 'Mo

'Mo

Step I is an unqualified success!
    Will the present spare be staying?

54delray and drdave like this.
  25. Dave,

Looking good. Get a 600-16 for the spare. You will need to let a little air out to get to fit the well. Carry a tire pump and you are in business. Having that trunk will come in handy for carrying stuff.

Charlie Stephens

drdave likes this.
  26. Lookin' good my friend!

drdave likes this.
  27. Yes, for now the spare/a spare will be staying. I've been keeping my eye out for a decent fender without the well, but no luck yet. Earlier in this thread, Charlie mentioned using a '32 rim and appropriate tire for a spare instead of the 18 incher and I've kept that idea tucked back in my brain. Funny thing is, when I was sorting wheels to take to the powder coater (oh, 4 wheels blasted and coated was $200...someone asked way back what the quote was but I hadn't had one at that point), I discovered 2 of the wheels I had are actually 16 inch '32 wheels. Unfortunately, they are pretty heavily rusted on the inside, and it has yet to be determined if either one will hold a tire/air yet or not. Maybe I'll get lucky...

...and yes, Charlie, the trunk is growing on me. My original thought was to ditch the trunk and put the spare on the back, but I have since discovered the trunk is some real deal 30's trunk and apparently brings some pretty good money for ones in half decent shape....mine is in fantastic shape. Learning that made me think, hmmm, it fits the resto rod theme so maybe it will stay. That and it has been real handy if I have to stop off somewhere after work since it provides the only secure spot to put my stuff. LOL

28. Dave,

I think you misread what I said, don't worry about it but I wanted to get it correct. I meant use a 16 inch 1935 wheel like your others and a 600-16 tire. Before you get the tire try one of your 550-16 front tires in the well. It might fit without letting any air out and look good. Your car is sure coming together nice.

Charlie Stephens

dwollam likes this.
  29. Oooooohhhhhh! Lol. Gotcha. I can do that easy enough. Thanks for setting me straight!!

dwollam likes this.
  30. dwollam, drdave and kidcampbell71 like this.